1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Years Pedal Resolutions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ukedealer, Jan 1, 2017.

1. New year, new attitude, carpe diem etc
    If I'm gonna set myself any pedal target this year, it's going to be getting to grips with my Moog MP201 at long last.... and when I say 'grips' I don't mean a flimsy handshake, I mean a G.I Joe/Kung Fu style grip (yes, I watched Trading Places last night lol, it was NYE, it's almost mandatory!)
    Although the MP is the very core of my live sound with my (strictly speaking second) band 'Evolution' (and fear not, I'm slowly integrating both it and the rest of my board into my main bands : Jono And The Uke Dealers | Facebook live show too, shameless plug there sorry) I think I'm still only using a very, VERY, small percentage of the MP's functionality... The unit doesn't even have a very steep learning curve either, I think it's pure laziness on my part but hey! I can't be alone here surely?? (With all due respect!!!!)
    So, the point of this slightly long winded post is warranted (I hope) by a question... :
    Are there any pedals/modules/units you REALLY feel you need to get into and get a handle of before you feel it's too late (lol) ?
    Apologies if that question (or indeed this whole post) has been a trifle melodramatic but I'm just ANIMATED, 2017 is here and we all gonna get our pedals on!
    One Love X

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  2. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Been using my Polytope for a while now just as a good chorus but it can get into some really weird stuff. I haven't had the time to delve into it fully but I hope to this year. Also my JohnK Fury. And soon the Southampton Ictineo and Broughton Studio One.

Seize the Carp!!

ukedealer likes this.
  3. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    I want to stop impulse buying dirt pedals and dirt pedal kits.

Jonny5bass likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    The only thing I am sure of is that I will invest in a Joyo Orange Juice pedal coming February and a California Sound which I might get February too or I might wait to May, depending on how much my budget, which is pretty tight, allow me to spend on gear.

I also hope to acquire a Fender Blender clone this year.

So all in all so far, the year of the dirt.

Finally I ordered a pair of EMG Geezer Butler pickups for my Ibanez Mikro, that might arrive as early as tomorrow, if I am in luck.

ukedealer likes this.
  5. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    After 40+ years, I'm finally utilizing a pedal board later this month with the following:

Ampeg SCR-DI
    TC Electronics Sub 'n' Up
    Digitech Bass Multi Chorus

My son and I are building the pedal board and should start in a few days.

6. My current board is a coupla guitar pedals in an LS-2 loop. It's cumbersome, but works. I would like for a multi-fx to be released at NAMM that I can use on both bass and guitar, but I'm not hopeful. I'll probably end up with some other pedals I feel are just as bulky, but have a truer signal path.

7. Year of the dirt yeh ? I can deal with that.
    Loving my Joyo OJ and if I did go for another Joyo dirt pedal it would be the California, I love the Mesa sound.
    Funny, I'd toyed with the idea of a Fender Blender myself. Just copped a dam Ezekiel 25:17 clone tho so that is going to have to suffice until the end of the month at least!
    Year of the dirt, yeh I like that

NoiseNinja likes this.
  8. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Yeah, already have my nice sounding fuzz covered with my defect EHX Tube Zipper that only works as fuzz, though it can do over the top out of control crazy fuzz sound with my Boss MT-2 stacked in front of it.
    But even then it is still sort of an overall mellow soft and smooth kind of over the top fuzz that comes out of it, if that makes sense.

So with a Fender Blender I would have my nasty fuzz needs covered as well.
    Never heard fuzz that was able to produce such a nasty, ugly, harsh and broken over the top and out of control sound.

Love it.

Hope the Orange Juice will cover my needs for crunchy gnarly distortion and the California will get my needs for a more smooth nice sounding distortion covered.

I don't really feel like I need overdrive, as if I need a more subtle sound from my dirt units I can just blend it in to my liking with my Boss LS-2, and I think pure overdrives has a tendency of just sounding weak and add a little unwanted fizzle to my sound.

ukedealer likes this.
  9. To dig deeper into the AdrenaLinnIII.

To resist GAS and maybe even sell off some stuff.

neuman and ukedealer like this.
  10. Make sure you hit me up buddy when you make any of these said purchases yeh?

NoiseNinja likes this.
  11. NYR is to build a pedal per month for 2017.

Right. 'Cause modulation is so much more fun. :smug:

Joey Cash and Teijo K. like this.
  12. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Will do :)

ukedealer likes this.
  13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    2017 resolution; stop buying stuff!

neuman likes this.
  14. User blocked

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Buy more pedals life is to short.

FilterFunk, torza and ukedealer like this.
  16. User added to favourites

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    There's really no use making a new year's resolution, I know I'm so weak I will break it sooner rather than later. But, what I want to do is try to use the pedals I already have and for a change not shop on impulse but rather think hard about any new purchase. Boring ... :)

nshuman, Bassmike62 and kev451 like this.
  18. Redo the big board with an emphasis on expression control. The expression pedal on the Minifooger delay, set to repeats, is pretty rad - it zooms away into noisy feedback pretty easily.

The Xero Dlx 2 killed at NYE, the first gig I tried it out at. The exp pedal added a lot. Might be my favorite new EF. I certainly didn't miss the Proton, and I never turned on the MXR BEF.

I now have 3 IE effects and I love them all (Polytope v1, SubT, and Xero Dlx v2) so I should probably look into getting an Oxide. That Nimbus SE looks pretty cool, too. A tremolo that accepts expression input for the rate also seems to be in order.

Definitely need some kind of new fuzz on the smaller main gig board, and another OD and clean boost for the PT nano.

ukedealer likes this.
  19. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    And reverb... :bassist:

20. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    just STOP ....

learn how to use all the crap i bought last year .. !!

ukedealer likes this.