1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new years (project) resoloutions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by radley, Dec 31, 2011.

1. radley

radley

Sep 24, 2010
    it's that time of year... as if you weren't aware.
    I recently got a bunch of Squier Jazz VM/Standard pieces in a trade (a FrankenTele my local gear guy Rod Evans put together for me) to do a project out of. So far, it's been re-done to have a more "highway 1" black finish but in the coming weeks I'll have routed the neck(middle) pup for an HB... I put her together but it's gone to complete dung, I'm sure you can guess why. Thinking about a Bad*ss bridge, but only because I know it's compatible with the very ****** pre-drilled holes by the previous owner... but wood filler, drills and other options are not out of the question if it's worth it.
    I've gone by the mantra of "you can't polish a turd without getting **** everywhere" for a while, but everyone starts somewhere, right?
    SO, I'm going to do a total overhaul, starting with EMG's, because I'm lazy and they have snap-on wiring, but that rules out any and all vintage amps IE. Traynor
    s, Sunn's, etc. which completely rules out my pre-concieved idea on going for a big/warm vintage tone. (I'm not into setting amps on fire)
    On top of all that, the neck I got out of the trade ended up having a broken truss rod (and subsequently a very gnarly rattle) so I'm replacing it with an old Fender-ish (skunk-stripe) neck with a painted black headstock... only issue is that I'm intending on getting rid of the aforementioned matte black fin for a DIY walnut stain, and because I'm a shallow loser I can't bear having such a headstock there is going to be quite a bit of work to be done.
    That being said, I really want to make my 4th-ish bass "my first" real bass love, so no detail can be spared if I'm knowledgable of it.

So, that's me. Do you have big plans for a project? any tips or tricks to share? they're all much appreciated by all. Youtube is a great resource, but it's not always specific enough for a self-proclaimed/aspiring gear nerd.

All the best in 2012, TB'rs.
    -Radley.

2. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I resolve to finish wiring up my Ibanez P/J and to complete my first paint refinish on the ash J body I picked up from the classifieds here and build a nice J so I can mothball my Geddy Lee. It's had a hard life. Too many bar gigs and not enough respect from me. It's pretty beat.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For the past 5 years, I've threatened to get my 60 EB-0 restored. This is the year, by gum!

4. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Why would EMGs rule out vintage amps use? I don't see any connection there.

5. radley

radley

Sep 24, 2010
    old amps really aren't built to take the amount of power that set-ups with active/battery-powered pickups. Call it outlandish (I do live in Canada) but I've seen at least 3 amps that aren't mine catch fire because of it, now.

6. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    to turn my SX 62 p/j into a 59' p/j for my blues band.

All I need is a few parts, I have the body and an american pbass neck, so hopefully this will be done soon!

also to finish my Fender/Warwick. the new neck needs a fret job pretty bad.. 20th fret is high. I'm actually looking forward to learning how to do a fret job, lol

attachment.

Attached Files:

7. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    EMG pickups don't really have very hot output, from my experience. My passive Dimarzio-equipped basses were much louder than those with 40J and 40DC...

And there is volume knob too, I am pretty sure it can be turned down even in Canada :D

8. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Back on topic:
    I have one project I would like to complete this year, a 5-str walnut single cut. I even have all the wood already but don't have time to really start (my 9 m.o. daughter takes it all :) )

Ignis2-singleMM.

9. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I have a Jon Hill body for which I had a neck custom built. I've got the base coats down for the paint job (turquoise color), but clear coat will not be done until spring. (don't have a climate-controlled paint room, just my shed). Have all the parts, including bart pickups and pre-amp.

10. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I too have one body to paint (PB shape, it will be painted in gold), but it will have to wait for the good weather...

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So you're saying that you've personally seen at least 3 amps catch on fire because they were running an active bass into it? :eyebrow:

12. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    1. Finish my strat project. It was a squier, but it will have a warmoth neck, natural finish body (beautiful alder actually), a black pickguard, and chrome hardware.

2. Finish assembling my fretless P

3. Add sheilding to my Schecter

4. Start a parts jazz build. Think I'll order the body from GFS and do a unique body finish and have my friends sharpie on the bare wood, then I'll just put a couple thin coats of clear over it. Then a fender neck, ultralite tuners, pickups are yet to be determined, but I have been GASing a P/J like you wouldn't believe....

13. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Nice thread idea! Something to reference when I'm being lazy...

Rewire my Hofner Icon Club bass with a slight mod that will allow me to use the neck pickup with treble cut and the bridge pickup at same time

Put together a shorty ala musicmaster

Refret and finish this Kent guitar project I've had forever. Literally, forever.

Get into pickup winding and rewind the broken pickups of my first guitar, a Tokai strat. Also refinish said guitar from black or at least get a tort guard for it.

I'd really like to fill and reroute a jazz body I have for a P pickup in the proper position. I also want to do a paisley finish on it.

Make a neck and truss rod from scratch.

Crap I better get started.

14. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I'm hoping to build a Fenderbird with a P/J config. So far all I have is an old bridge I saved of an 80's gibson explorer. I'll be ordering the body from Warmoth within the month. If I'm very lucky I'll have it done in around a year. Last year I build my fEARfuls, this year a bass, next year I might even try to build a preamp or something. Being a bass player with ADD things can change anytime a see another shiny object. Otherwise as my wife calls it "The paddleball syndrome". If you've seen the movie Dumb & dumber, you should understand that.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nonsense. I spent half my life playing old Ampeg tube amps with basses that have EMG's, and never once caught one on fire.

16. I've got a couple of small projects in mind, but the first involves getting a '79 P-Bass deKahlerized, the route filled in and a new Fender bridge installed.

17. Finish them , i start about 5 at once , finish 1 and the rest get parted up , yeah you have seen me in the classifieds , thats me

18. Checking out my Rick 4004 Cheyenne after last night's gig I realized how badly in need of a refinish with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil she is. I'm down to bare walnut in a few places. The big problem will be the down time, I play this bass a lot.

19. Nothing to major for me, upgrade my Gene Simmons cort axe from the mm pups to the EMG pups.

20. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    If I get these done this year, I would be a happy man:

1. 1969 Gibson EB1 with the broken headstock.

2. Epiphone Elite Thunderbird w/ broken headstock.

3. 76' Fender P-bass that needs a complete refin. (purchased for cheap on ebay, all original except for someone stripping it, then brushing on walnut urethane/poly??? stain all over the neck & body... :rollno:),

4. Some of my own builds... an F-mandolin Bass & a couple of custom 30" scale acoustic resonator basses (6 string square neck baritone & 8 st. round neck).

5. 80's Arbor 30" scale neck thru with a body shaped like a Charvel Star... it came (crudely) routed for a Kahler bass trem. (which I just happened to have on hand). I owned one of these in the Eighties and they are surprisingly well built.

Moonshine :bassist: