1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Year's Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matt descending, Dec 31, 2011.

1. I will start. This year my resolution is to learn "Where Everybody Knows Your Name," the Cheers theme, on piano. My piano skills are very weak, but I have a piano in my living room so...

Anyway, what is/are yours? Keep the jokes to a minimum, please. And subscribe to this so you don't forget to keep us updated on progress and failures.

Happy New Year!

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Drink more beer than I should. Eat higher calorie foods than I should. Not exercise as much as I should.

Figure I'd skip the whole lying to myself part and make resolutions I can stick to.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm going to learn to play a mean Dobro.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I rarely make new years resolutions, but I'm going to give a go this year.

I am not going to argue with anybody on talkbass in 2012.

I will respect everyone's opinions, share my own opinions, and never engage in anything even remotely confrontational with any member here.

There.

5. smoke less pot.

6. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Learn to walk.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Be at least 50% more cynical and sarcastic.

You got a problem with that?

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Get in really good shape and make contacts in LA.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I got a few:
    1. School - Actually try for once and aim for a 4.0 for the semester.
    2. Health - Get back into my workout routine, and stop drinking as much as I do.
    3. Music - Keep improving, take lessons, have band step up our game.

10. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    Post more cute cat videos on Facebook.

11. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    get the tattoo i have been saying i am gonna get for about 4 years now.

its gonna be awesome.

oh, and go the gym more; i need more stamina. and not party as much and sleep more and blah, blah, blah. if i get the tat i will be satisfied.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Institute and stick to a budget.

Buy more pedals.

Play more Guitar.

Save up and buy a Mesa Boogie 400+ before Dec. 21 2012

13. 2012 will be an interesting year for me, as I feel like I'm going to be forced onto one of two paths, both of which will determine which "resolutions" I'll really go with.

Path one: My band is making serious strides to try and "make it", as naive as it may sound. But I've been in this rodeo before, and having learned how to -not- make an album and -not- sell yourself well, I'm much smarter about it this time. My band is heavily investing in studio time and early next year our album will be done. We'll be doing some touring regionally, making a music video, the whole nine yards. So my resolutions for this path are: Finish the album, market it successfully, and by this time next year be in a position to quit my job to pursue music full time (or at least get to the point where it becomes a viable option eventually).

Path two: If 2012 ends spectacularly bad for the band, I've already informed the band that I will be going back to grad school. No use chasing a dream that will never work. I currently work in a crappy job, and I've determined having simply a bachelors in marketing isn't going to get me too far and I can't take much more of my job. If we reach the point of no return, my resolution is to take the GMAT and prepare myself to apply to school to get my MBA, and be in a position to matriculate by 2013.

Regardless of the "path" my life goes in, here are my other resolutions:
    -Take learning a foreign language seriously. I have Rosetta Stone's German software, and fully plan on pursuing it this next year.
    -Even if the band fails, continue to become the best musician I can be. Might consider taking vocal lessons.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

To attain professional employment and re-nest somewhere alone, well, with my Beagles of course.

15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I have a few as well
    1) Not to play any musicials this year so i can give all my attemtion to the new band I'm in.
    2) Jan 21 is my last DJ gig and NO it's not as much fun as playing live no matter who tells you it is
    3) that means I stop donating my dj service to local charities, cause I can't be everyting to everybody
    4) to only do 1 musical thing per weekend so if I'm playing, no jamming the next day etc...
    Keeping these few things in mind I'll
    1) Give my band the full attention I said I would
    2) have more time to spend with my wife and family
    BTW
    The guys in my band all have jobs and a life as well outside the band and we are all working towards the same goals
    play out 2 weekends a month and only have one musical project going
    so it's off to our first gig tonight!
    Peace & Love

16. Graduate college and get a job. Other than that, nothing in my life needs changing:)

lowsound

17. Play more, play more often.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Less soda, more running.

19. Finish a few decades-old projects; start none.

20. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    I stopped smoking pot in January of 2011, and I just bought myself a mountainbike for xmas.

So I guess my new years resolution should be to quit smoking cigarettes and hit the trails!

Happy new year TB!