1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New York City Bassists...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Im just curious what your rig is. Does anyone lug arround the ampeg 810 and head rig? How do you do it? does it fit in a cab? what do most clubs there hold for capacity. i might live there one day that's why im asking

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    heck no!

we've had this thread a few times in the past.

besides, most clubs here have a rig. course that rig usually sucks. so, i'm usually Epifani head w/ pair of UL112's. fits so easy into the trunk of a cab. but getting it onto an NJ transit bus? that's a whole other thread. :rolleyes: but i've seen a few guys lug in their own gear w/ their own van and whatnot. heck, i was at cake shop a few days ago, and saw two doods lugging in an SVT head, to which i could only feel sorry for them.

course, if its especially awful weather, i'll literally just go right into the PA and ask for more monitors. really. you'll be surprised at how desparately lazy you get when its raining like crazy. :p

3. Yea, NYC is a 1x12 and powerful combo-amp town. I had a 4x10, then I moved it from where I live in Queens, to a practice space in Brooklyn... then Manhattan to a drummers house... not fun. 1x12's for me until I get my license, then maybe I'll think about switching up... most likely I wont. 112's pretty much cover everything.

4. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I live in Toronto without a car and I'm lugging a Bag End 15 inch cabinet with my Eden wt330 in a DJ records bag. Still kills me when I have to lug it up the stairs in my apartment. Thinking about downsizing to a Wizzy 12. Epiani's look great but they're too bulky. I couldn't imagine getting them up the stairs on a crowded bus. Ah, the joys of urban living!

PS: Joker, I'd love to read those posts about this very topic but I am having trouble finding them. Can you steer me in the right direction?

Glenn

5. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    8x10 Ampeg? You've got to be kidding. Especially in a cab. You would stand on the sidewalk all night long. No one is picking you up with that in tow.

I'm planning on getting a Mark Bass 2x10 cabinet. Extremely light and portable. Sounds great to boot!

6. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I play a 1x15 but I haven't gigged yet... works great for band practice though :p

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    8X10 Ampeg, HA HA HA sheeesh! Why? Little small gigs get the GK 1001RB 2x10 combo, bigger stuff gets a Aguilar 4x10, outside in the park gets 2 Aguilar 4x10's unless I want to use a GK 2x10 +GK RBH1x15 cab. but just to putt around would be the 2x10 combo.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The thought of a New York cabbie being flagged by someone with an Ampeg head and fridge rig next to them at the side of the road really made me smile... ;)

9. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    We have a lot of the same issues here in the Beale St tourist strip ... Police block off the streets so loading is a real pain ... small alleys and such LOTS of tourist crammed into a small space and usually small venues packed with tons of people.

:meh: ... I've gone to a EA VL-208 and a GK 1001RB ... works great!

10. I live in Astoria and mostly rehearse and gig in Manhattan. Even though Astoria's just over the bridge, I'm not lugging even my combo if I can avoid it; I'll just use the crappy amp the club has. I felt that way even when I lived in Hells Kitchen. You'd think these live houses (the few that are actually left) spend some $$$ on a backline. I mean they go through the trouble of getting a PA and a basic drum kit, how about a bass amp? The ones that kill me the most are the places that have a cabinet but no head. What the @%&#$ is that?!?! In my 20+ years of gigging in my hometown, I always hoped things would change but alas, they only get worse musically. I have some hilarious stories of lugging my rig through the subway up and down stairs with a heavy duty hand truck and my bass on my back. The guys I really don't envy are the upright players walking around with that wheel on the endpin.

To you guys who live in the burbs and have cars, think about how lucky you are that you have a car and a place to park it the next time you don't wanna carry your rig.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Large clubs will usually have a rig or large cabinet that you can use your head with. A lot of smaller clubs have something like a 100 watt Peavey or something and amazingly it does that job for that room because you usually have house support and the places aren't that large anyway. I usually use a single Epifani UL112 with a AI Focus 600 watt head when I need to bring my rig and have taken it on a city bus, though I usually drive.

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I play fairly regularly with a terminally loud rock band (about once or twice a month sometimes more, sometimes less)

I keep my rig mainly in a studio space on 8th Ave though I live in brooklyn

Bass goes on my back

B1500 and cables are in a 4 space shallow rack (about 13" WITH both 'lids' on) = 50lbs or so

if the gig needs it - 1212R in the other hand = 50Lbs more or less

But I'm loud and I'm not giving up my "sled" anytime soon.

That being said I've seen guys lug SVT's not an 810 though.

PLus I'm a bit of a hoss when it comes to loading in and out

A bit like the IATSE prinicple - if it ain't mine get it the **** out of my way.

So the weight of the head doesn't bother me.

Most places have backline - so I use it when i can - haven't really had to use my cab live much yet.

I'd say most NYC bassists bring a head at least.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I do alot of urban travel with my gear. Sometimes the car isnt available (its my wife's). For rehearsals its usually one wizzy and my PODxt/Focus SA combo on a handtruck and bass on back.

Very easy to move around... even using a bus is no problem.

Soon getting a Bag End S15D... hopefully that wont be too bad.

14. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have played many gigs in NYC and have used many different amps.

As mentioned here..many clubs have backline and they usually get the job done.

If I am working with just an acoustic guitarist/vocalist I can use my Sansamp or GK150 and get a good result with a good monitor mix.

If I am with a full band it depends on the venue..
    Since I live in Queens and have transportation...I can haul a large amp usually a 4 x 10 and head but if I know the house amp is in good condition I'll bring in a head..

It also depends on the type of show..if I am doing an important showcase..I am bringing the best gear I can..

15. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I live in the burbs and have a car. But I get tired of lugging my 2x10 cab and head separately. I just got an Ampeg BA210. It has wheels so at least Im not lifting that much. Only problem for me is it isnt loud enough. I should have got the GK700 combo. My thing is I want a 2x10 combo thats portable and loud. A 2x10 cab can handle most small/mid size venues in NYC. You can use the stuff that these clubs have but thats a crap shoot. Ive been burned by the clubs before.

16. As has been mentioned throughout the thread, most clubs here have a house bass rig, be it a head and cab or just a cab or a smallish (1x15) combo.

For the clubs with just a cab where you bring your own head, I've found that my Mesa Walkabout is more than enough to hear myself on stage. And for those venues where I need to bring my whole rig, It's nice to be able to walk in with my bass on my back, Walkabout in a shoulder bag and my Schroeder 1210L in hand and have everything I need in one trip from the cab / subway without destroying my back.

17. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    I was thinking of this ,
    This house-rig is pretty unique huh ?
    Ive heard about it alot in NY , but not elsewhere in the states.
    Its a great thing ...
    In sweden , if its a medium + venue , they usually rent stuff , mostly Ebs gear since its a swedish standard in amplification , but at clubs and bars you will always need to bring your own stuff.

But is this just a NY thing or is this common in other large citys ?

18. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Toronto, nope. I've never seen a backline provided unless it was by another band playing that night. I like the backline idea, though. Used, you'd be able to get a GK800rb and a yorkville 2x10 for something like $700 Canadian. That's suitable for what you need.

Glenn

19. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, I'm not going to call Denver a "big" city (well, not nearly as big as NYC for sure....)

98.99% of the time PA/FOH is provided, backline is your responsibility..

SM

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the places i've played outside of NYC kinda... in DC and boston? yes. philly? kinda. sorta depends.