1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New York City Help! I need suggestions for touristy stuff for this week!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Baird6869, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am going to be in NYC with my wife and kids this Wed-Sun. We are staying around 7th and 34th (near Penn Station) so we are right in the middle of Midtown.

Anyways, I am looking for cool touresty stuff to do as my wife will be working at her companys office on Thurs/Fri and I will be entertaining my boys (11 and 12yo).

We will be checking out ground zero (on Sept 11th), the Museum of Modern History, maybe a Yankee game on the weekend, doing a bus tour, etc. but I need more ideas. Any fun, kid friendly ideas? I am thinking along the lines of a boat tour, FAO Schwartz, Coney Island, another museum, etc. Also, any cool places to take kids for lunch or dinner? They loved the ESPN Zone when we were there a couple of years ago.

Also, the wife and will be hitting the town on Friday or Sat night. We were thinking about hitting Carolines for some comedy than a nightclub. Again, ideas welcomed!

Lastly, are there any cool bass/guitar stores in the area to check out? I was going to go see Sadowsky, but decided to STAY FAR AWAY! My wife will kill me if I boy my 3rd Sadosky in the last year!

Thanks guys!

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey, I chimed in on this a year or so ago, I'm sure if you did some sort of crazy search combo you could find it. If they like barbecue, virgil's by times square is very solid, and around the corner from toys r us. Normally I would say avoid times sq like the plague, especially because it's fashion week and everything around bryant park is crazy.

As far as ground zero goes, to be totally honest, there's not much to see. I lived down in the financial district for a couple years and as much as it hurts people to read/say, it's a giant construction site at this point (unless you're actually there on september 11th of this year). And to be fair, I could see the smoke from my house, people i went to school with lost parents. Please don't rain hate because I'm giving an opinion.

There's loads of stuff to see if you go downtown, Bodies is still at the south street seaport (I think). Friday I'm going to brewfest . Check out the lower east side for bars and the historic district-y part around ludlow street. (I promise it's not scary anymore, mostly just nyu kids). A delightful divertment may be central park or the museums if they lads are so inclined. but I doubt it if I were them. check out the comedy cellar and the like around washington sq park, lots of good stuff down there, including the blue note.

Unfortunately WSP is a shadow of what it was due to [unnecessary] construction (I was an NYU kid too).

my favorite pizza in order:
    Bleeker Pizza (bleeker and 7th ave)
    l'asso (kenmare st...google this, but it's a great date night)
    john's pizza
    the pizzeria (macdougal).

That's what I can think of right now, I'll chime in once i get home from work.

-chris
    (ps, I work on 38th st, if you want to pm me for a cell number, i'm awesome with directions, subway or otherwise).

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Delicious, relatively inexpensive Italian food:

Il Vagbondo
    on E. 62nd St., between 1st and 2nd Aves.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    48th street between 7th and 8th contains Manny's Music, Sam Ash, and Rudy's Music, and a few other small shops that aren't guitar oriented.

Take the kids to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I do it with family all the time and they love it. A little educational, but cool nonetheless.

Be sure to walk around Central Park as well.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ooo ooo ooo! just remembered,

Fat Cat is a bar with live jazz (actually a massive revolving sit-in situation that I've been too much of a wimp to get involved with) AND BOARDGAMES! they have billiards and scrabble and shuffle board and ping pong and... oooo the fun you would have. Unfortunately it's a bar, no kids allowed.

Pourhouse on 3rd Ave and E 11th St is a personal favorite of mine, pretty good food and $1 buds during happy hour (gets bumped to $2 during dinner). But the long and short of it is that you can bring the kids for lunch and they have an AWESOME beer menu (not SUPER awesome, but good for the fact that it's mostly populated by people that don't know any better. Don't go on the weekends after 8, it gets packed.

Union Sq is cool, during the day (M, W, Thr, F) they have a farmer's market where a lot of the food network types get their produce. Also in the area is the Strand Book Store (8 miles of books, a personal favorite) and Max Brenner, which is like a willy wonka of chocolate as far as I can tell. Pipes of chocolate running everywhere. Chicks dig it. OOO and a big GC down the block from that.

There's a boxing exhibit in the seaport museum now that I think about it, and at Jeremy's Alehouse (also in the seaport...toldja, I lived down there) they have great, great, not expensive at all fried and grilled seafood. oh, and 32 oz beer in styrofoam cups. It used to be the "happy hour" hang out for the fish guys when fulton was still open. Happy hour for them is like 10 AM, so...yeah they still have that early happy hour. DOn't go on friday. Remember that brewfest I told you about in post 2? Chances are that me and every other drunken ******* is gonna end up there when the thing lets out at ten.

If you hit up little italy:
    Check out DiPalo's cheese, I think they're opening a wine store too. This is the greatest store in. the. world. The guys are kickass, will let you try EVERYTHING. get olive oil from them, they fly to sicily every few weeks to restock. I used to live around the corner from them on broome st (if you can say anything about NYU's housing program, it's that it creates very interesting living conditions), about 2 blocks east from where heath ledger died and across the street (at 201 broome) from where Leonardo dicaprio lives.

Don't buy anything from anyone on canal street. it's not worth it. I promise. check out mud cup coffee truck in astor place right by st. marks. and if you decide you and your wife want to drink a bunch (though I don't really get that vibe) check out McSorely's on 2nd and 7th st. 130 years old, and they've been letting women in since 1970. You really need to respect that. Brandon is the waiter. He's good people. expect to make friends. don't fear the mustard.

30th st Guitars, by penn station (right by where you're staying) is the coolest guitar store in the city. they have a bunch of rare stuff, cool guys, and an awesome repair shop. They'll let you play forever. Send the wife to macy's on 6th and 37th and take the boys to play guitar. Everyone's happy.

Wogie's Cheesesteak on Charles and Greenwich Ave. Awesome cheesesteak no matter where you're from, more than reasonably priced beer (for new york, get ready for that btw), great wings, take the kids.

If you go to the statue of liberty, you won't be able to go up, that takes like 30 days notice to get clearance, but the tour is cool nonetheless. Ellis island is really gut wrenching if you're the kid of an immigrant. Walk the brooklyn bridge at sunset and get pizza at grimaldi's on the other side, or ice cream directly under the bridge while it's still open (it's only open seasonally). Note the inscription of Walt Whitman's poem on the Ferry Landing.

Don't bother with the empire state building. Expensive, crowded, just a really tall building. Call me and I'll get you into one for free.

Some advice to not piss off locals:
    When in times square, do NOT stop to look up at sky scrapers. As an intern running around that area (I used to work at 4 Times Sq) for 4 years, I used to freak out on people who stopped in their tracks to just look at the sky, causing me to crash into them with envelopes, clothes, or my boss' lunch. I've literally yelled at people. I made sure they got their "NY experience"

Don't wear a fanny pack or shorts and hiking boots. Not the way to blend in.

If you see someone yelling at your tour bus or drunkenly saying "Hey, how's your stay going?" it's probably me. Especially if it's friday.

I'll post more as I think of it. This is absolutely my pleasure. One day I'm going to put together some sort of awesome bar crawl with historical landmarks thrown in. I wonder who would go to that?

-chris