New York City here I come.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Feb 8, 2006.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I am off to NYC tomorrow for a couple of days. I will be checking out the music shops grouped together on
    West 48th street but I was wondering if there is a Guitar Center in/near Manhattan. I don't know the city as well as I should but I can grab the subway if need be.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's one on 14th St between 5th and 6th Avenues (near Union Square), north side of the street,

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out Sadowsky in Brooklyn 30th street guitars is pretty cool as well but their is far more guitars then basses.
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Aww, damn. I thought someone was buying a Hotwire Big Apple 5 string or something...
  5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Goto the Fodera factory!

I have no sense of how big New York is haha. So for all I know it could be wayyy far away from it.

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, its actually not that hard to get down to the sadowsky shop by subway.

and 30th does have a nice selection of vintage P's, but i much prefer Chelsea Guitars on 23rd right next to the Hotel Chelsea.

dan's the man, and his vintage gear is nonpareil in the city.

then there's jimmy's Bass Boutique on 50th & 9th ave. usually has some sweet Suhr's, Fbasses, Elrick's, and his own Alleva-Coppola jazzes.
  7. Er... that's also in Brooklyn and it is not a factory.
  8. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Many thanks to all for the good advice. So much to little time!!
  9. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
  10. Do a search through the threads here on Rudy's music. You'll get some well needed advice... :rollno:
  11. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    yeah i see that now. those guys sound like d-bags.

it is new york though, not the most polite state in the country. the gear is sweet inside so i would still say check it out and just ignore the staff.
  12. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I will definitely check out Rudy's and as many shops as my free time allows. I will also be sure to share my experiences regarding their customer service when I get back. I am sure, like anyone else, they have their good days and their bad days. We'll see!

Thanks again for all the advice!!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

14. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Make sure you time yourself right when you get to Rudy's. They dont like leaving the heat on overnight, so the necks get crazy warped in the cold and theyre still warped when the place opens.
    Do you have any non-bass related plans? Checking out any good Jazz clubs? I think you should because we have lots.
  15. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Wow It never ceases to amaze me how stingy music store owners can get. Things like turning off the heat overnight just can't be good for any instrument made of wood.

I am in NYC for work related reasons but will have the equivalent of seven hours free timeover the next couple of days to scour and pillage the bass shops.

Full review of my adventure to come!
  16. I was just in Rudys 2 weeks ago and I'll tell you, I had no problem. The shop is small but they have a real nice selection of basses and the sales man there was sweet as pie. Mannys on the other hand was rude and cold. The first thing one guy asked me when I wante'd to play a G and L was "Are you buying?"
    I was like " Just give me the damn bass, Idiot."
    Am I buying. Absolutely. Just not from him. I went to The Guitar Man on Orchard st. downtown. I took my dad who grew up on Mott st. and we ate lunch at Katz, a Jewish deli thats been there over 90 years and we ate pastrami sandwiches. A great day indeed.
  17. Katz' is a great place, but in case some of you haven't heard:

The food there was great!

My office used to order from there all the time!

The landlord raised the rent from $24,000 to $33,000 per month, and they just couldn't swing it!

Everyone, go to Katz' before something happens to them!

Cruel world.

Mike :(
  18. Hey Mike. Did you lose your internet connection over the last week. I heard on the radio that some contractors tore open a large phone trunk under ground. I thought of you right away. I think they said the Rockaways. Thats near you, right?
  19. No, I didn't lose my internet over the weekend.

The Rockaways are not that far from me; they're a short ride across Jamaica Bay. I do know the Rockaways well.

I'm not too far from Aqudeuct racetrack.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the map:

20. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    how's about mannys and sam ash?