Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New York City Holiday

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Hey guys,
    I just booked flights from Dublin to New York City for myself and three friends at the end of August. We're there for a week and are wondering what gigs/clubs to check out, any suggestions from you New Yorkers? I should probably point out that we're only 20, and therefore mightn't be eligible for some clubs...
    Cheers,
    Ciaran

2. Go watch a Yankees game. That defines alot of american culture right there.

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I hope you'll be out the the city before August 30th (nothing personal :D). That's when the Republican National Convention is in town and the city will be under a near lock down. As a matter of fact, I just told my bandmates not to book any rehearsals during that period (I commute from nearby Long Island to NYC for practice).

You'll definitely want to check out the music shops on 48th St for starters. Sadowsky is in nearby Brooklyn. There's a ton of stuff to do; I'm sure others have suggestions for someone who's not of drinking age. I certainly don't. ;)

Tom

4. the whole place will be locked down? I don't like the sounds of that, can you elaborate?
    Cheers
    Ciaran

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The RNC will be at Madison Square Garden in midtown Manhattan. Security in and around the area will unprecedented. Lock down may not have been the best choice of words but the security will be extremely tight. Worst case scenario is that you might want to avoid that area. I hope I didn't alarm you; I didn't mean to.

I should add that the reason I didn't want to rehearse that week is because I take the Long Island Rail Road into Pennsylvania Station. That area is going to have some of the tightest security as it is a main rail hub and is located just under The Garden.

Tom