1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New York City Lessons June 4 to 10, 2011

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by PRUNEFACE, May 12, 2011.

1. Do you have any recommendations for an excellent teacher/experienced musician to get some lessons from? I plan on seeing the New York Phil. on Saturday (the 4th I believe) and Jim Hall and Ron Carter at the Blue Note on the Monday following (the 6th). How accesible is Ron Carter with regards to giving lessons* to a less experienced (I've only gigged out once and it was a disaster as you all remember... I jam every week with a guitar player on jazz standards so I am not a jazz beginner, but I am no world-wearied jazz musician) bassist?
    Am open to any suggestions!

*I would notify them in advance... It would NOT be spur of the moment, showing-up-at-the-doorstep-asking-for-a-lesson.

Also need to rent or borrow a bass in NYC... Will probably be contacting Gage, but let me know if you have any leads there, too.

2. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    About renting you can also ask to Geoff of the Bass Garden in Yonkers, very reasonable price and well set up basses. Every time i'm in NYC i have one of his basses (just call in advance to be sure he has something disponible)

3. Free Wood

Free Wood

Jul 12, 2010
    Try to get in contact with Garry Dial, he's a pianist, but he teaches theory and improvisation at Manhattan School of Music. He can definitely give you some stuff to work on and give you lots of motivation. In my personal experience I've found it is best to take "jazz" or improvisation lessons from someone who isn't a bass player.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Go to various NYC area music school websites and find out who's teaching jazz bass. Then email the teachers you're interested in. I'm sure you'll see some names you recognize. Tell them when you'll be there, and ask how much they charge and where they give lessons.

There are also many good NY guys on this forum including Ed Fuqua, Jason Sypher, Marco Panascia, etc. You would learn something useful from any one of them.

5. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I have been studying with a "non-bassist" who studied with Gary Dial. I get Dial's stuff second hand and his stuff is great. I think he took over for Charlie Banacos too. Maybe Rufus Reid. He is good with all levels. Pretty sure you have to be of a professional caliber to do something with Ron.

6. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    Mike Richmond (teaches at NYU), David Grossman (in the NY Phil but teaches jazz at Juilliard), Andy McKee, Boris Kozlov, and Christian McBride are the first five names that come to mind, but I don't think Christian gives private lessons anymore.

7. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I recommend either Peter Prisco (guitar) on Staten Island or Joe Solomon (double bass - Ed Fuqua can provide more info) in Brooklyn - both players come from the school of Lennie Tristano and will absolutely floor you in terms of improvisation, as well as their concepts concerning melody and phrasing.

Be sure to check out the jam session at the Bitter End on Monday night as well, even just to listen, lots of big names head down there.

8. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Billy Hart has a trio playing the Vanguard while you are there. He's just a fantastic drummer, and you won't regret a trip to that room to check it out. His bassist is Ben Street. Looks like a great gig. Street is a NYC player; maybe he gives lessons (looks like he studied with Dave Holland and Miroslav Vitous).

--Steve

9. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Actually, if you're going to see Gage, he could size you up and hook you up very quickly. There are countless great players out there who are relatively unknown. Do you truly want to learn something, or do you just want a lesson with a big name?

10. I want to learn about playing. I dont care who. Just how.

11. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    I suggest you email Gage and tell him what you've told us.

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You could try Paul Nowinski (he's on Facebook), Kim Klarke (she has a website) or just get in touch with the Bass Collective.

Rufus Reid (as someone mentioned) is legendary, but he's in Northern New Jersey and not here in the city.

I don't have any contact info, but John Lurkey is another name that springs to mind.

13. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    Paul Nowinski is a great player. Just saw him with the New York Voices a few days ago. I imagine he'd be a very good teacher as well.

14. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Did you manage to arrange a lesson? Just curious. Have a good trip to NYC.

--Steve

15. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ron Carter and Jim Hall are playing at the Blue Note June 6th, FYI.

Might not be a private lesson, but seeing as how it's a duo thing, you'll really be able to hear the bass. I count being able to observe any great bassist as "a free lesson".

16. I actually got good seating at the Blue Note for that performance about a month ago. I hope it will be as awesome as I expect it to be!

17. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm sure it will be. I would go, but I blew all my play money this week on Lee Konitz, Gary Peacock and friends. Which was very sublime and informative.

18. Have a lesson set with Mr David Grossman tomorrow as a matter of fact.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's great - let us know how it goes and the gig as well - it all sounds very positive! :)