New York Dolls Return

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 15, 2005.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    <p>According to a press release, the legendary punk band the New York Dolls will reunite in the studio for a new album in early 2006. But can you really call it a reunion when three of the original five members (including bassist Killer Kane) are dead? Do David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain really need money that bad? <a href="">Read more.</a></p>
  2. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I guess that post was meant to get a rise out of people. David and Sylvain can call it whatever they want. They were in the band, whoever wrote that wasn't. Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte are pretty great replacements. They have been playing great shows and should have to deal with crap like the statement, "is it really a reunion".

For all the crap that posted here about horrible music, you would think that people would be a little more respectful of one of the greatest rock n roll bands ever.
  3. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I was the one who wrote that statement. It came from my weblog at, just like all the other stories on the front page of TalkBass.

I wrote it and stand by it. As an analogy, if Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr announced a Beatles reunion today with two guys other than the deceased John Lennon and George Harrison, the entire world would be outraged. I wasn't in that band either, but neither situation could fairly or accurately be described as a "reunion."
  4. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Ok then, well lets call it a reunion of the surviving members.

My comment comes from the fact that this band gets a lot of crap about this. It is senseless and pointless and 99% of the time stems from jealousy.

The fact is the band as constituted is doing great live shows and comments like the one you made are discouraging, and we have enough of that in this world. We should be rooting for these guys, not trying to take them down.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    I saw Buster Poindexter on TV today & it always amazes me that he is the same person who used to front the Dolls.