1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Hey all, I hope everyone's been having a good holiday and all that, I know I have -- there's a RC-50 review to be written. Any case, I'm taking about about a week of vacation to go hang out in Manhatten and I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to suggest cool instrument shops, etc for me to visit on my trip. Thanks a bunch.

-Alex

2. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Same here, except with Orlando. I went to Guitar Center, but the only cool thing they had was an English Muff'n- I'm looking for a Punch Factory. Would I have better luck at Sam Ash? Are there any other stores to check out?

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i would check out sadowsky next time i went to ny

4. The upstairs bass floor at Rudy's is pretty cool. Another I like when I'm there is 30th Street Guitars.

Have fun.

5. Wolftopus

Wolftopus

Dec 9, 2006
    New York City
    30th Street Guitars is my favorite shop.

6. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Another vote for 30th Street Guitars.

In Brooklyn, I like Main Drag Music (one stop out of Manhattan on the L subway line). They have a bunch of cool pedals and they'll let you test them... Frantone, ZVex, Death By Audio, and so on.

7. 30th st customs is great! and in orlando florida bass central is pretty alright for a bass only place.

8. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Another vote for 30th Street Guitars ... expecially for their customer service! :spit:
    On November, while some friends of mine were in NYC, I contacted by phone the guys at 30th Street (just because my friends stayed at an Hotel near there) and asked for a Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter. They had the pedal in stock, I gave my credit card number and my friends went to the shop, picked the pedal and two days later it was in my hands here in Italy.
    A couple days later I realized that the MF-101 wasn't what I looked for so I e-mailed to the guys at 30th Street asking if it was possible to send the pedal back and have an EHX Bass Microsynth instead (with all the shipping costs covered by me). Needless to say the Moogerfooger was exactly in the same condition when it left 30th street (well, to say the thruth the pedal didn't come to me with the manual ...anyway).
    Well, no reply from 30th Street. I sent my e-mail 2 more times: no reply at all. So I quit.
    I didn't pretend they should accept what I asked for, but Geez ... while you're there scratching your a$$ here comes a guy that says "Hello, could you please sell me a Moogerfooger, here's my VISA Card, a friend of mine will come in a couple of hours to pick the pedal, have a nice day, thanks!" ... you should at least reply to his e-mails!
    Instead they probably tought "he, he ...fu@# that ... Italy is so far from here!" not knowing that:

1) Last year I spend about $ 10.000 in gear (in the USA);
    2) I go to NYC at least once a year.

It wasn't wise to treat this way a guy like myself. And they'll know it soon.
    So, you're warned about 30th Street Guitars customer service.

P.S. Just for the record ... I bought the Moogerfooger $270 (€215) and sold it here in Italy in a couple of days for €250 (they go new here for €270).

9. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    +1 for Rudy's Music. Went there when I was up in NYC to visit my brother and paid a visit upstairs; great guy at the counter - I cannot remember his name, but I suppose anyone who lets a skinny Asian kid try out a Lakland Decade for a good half hour gets a vote in my book :) Didn't end up buying it (already had a 44-02 to bring back, and they don't allow me to bring more than 1 bass on the plane), but I did get a few other supplies from downstairs.

10. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  11. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I agree w/ Rudy's and Main Drag. I have yet to check out 30th Custom, but I will now! Also, check out Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleeker Street in the Village.

12. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    Wow, I just realized that post was unnecessary . . .

13. That's a bummer, michele. Just out of interest, why didn't you phone them back (as you did when ordering the pedal in the first place)? I know when I've bought gear in the US and had friends pick it up I've always made sure I called rather than emailed - I like dealing with a specific person rather than an "information@" email address. That way you've got someone you can ask for if things go wrong - or (more to the point) someone you can ask for again when you want to buy more stuff!

14. Dean is the guy who runs the bass floor - I agree with everything superkicky says about him being a good guy. I pre-ordered some stuff through him before going to NY for a conference a couple of months ago and he was super friendly and helpful.

15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yet instead of deleting it you create another one. ;)

I'm just kidding, actually it added another helpful suggestion. I didn't find the original unnecessary. :cool:

16. I had a thread exactly like this in Misc. about a week ago. Well I got back from NYC on Wednesday and I found this killer website that has a list of music stores and stuff and I picked a few out and spent a day walking around. Here's where I went and what I found.

The Famous 48th street--a bunch of music stores here, Sam Ash was faily predictable, a lot of new Fenders and some Ibanez and stuff like that, Manny's had a pretty good selection, only G&Ls I saw, some Fenders, a few Ken Smiths and Pedullas and stuff like that, and finally Rudy's, which was the best overall--boutique heaven, with a bunch of Laklands, higher-end Fenders, Modulus, etc.

30th Street Guitars--I don't think they had any new stuff, but this room had the most mojo I've ever seen in one place. Vintage Fenders, Rickenbackers, Voxes, Musicmen, etc.

Guitar Center on 14th--The biggest GC I've ever seen. The only place I visited that had new Musicmen, they had Pedullas, a bunch of Fenders, and a ton of other stuff

Yeah, I don't know how helpful that was, I echoed what a lot of other people said, but there you go.

BTW, this is a comprehensive listing of all the stores in NYC:

http://www.newyorkmusician.com/pgs/intro.html

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    thread is probably too late, but if you're talking about effects, rudy's is the best place. 30th st has a ton of effects, but not alot of basscentric effects stuff.

18. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    How is the bass section there? Last time I went there was in September to buy my jazz bass, and the bass section was cut in half. It's very small and tight in the corner of the store now :rollno:

19. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions so far! I don't go up until Wednesday, so no worries about further suggestions.

Hmm... I refuse to go into another GC, I think it's a waste of time.

Rudy's is best for pedals? Where can I find bizarre stuff that I'd have a hard time trying out otherwise?

20. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    IMO, 30th Street Guitars and Main Drag Music, like I already said.

If it's not busy at Main Drag you can probably take a pedal into one of their litle rooms and play it through an amp "at volume". At least, they told me that I could... I assume that is their policy. At 30th Street I assume you'd just do that on the main floor, with less volume.