Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New York, New York?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    OK, I know this is stupid, but if my brain keeps going on like this I'm going to stab it with a pencil. I live in New Orleans right now, where there is no original music scene to speak of, but is very cheap to live. I've been struggling to put a band together for 10 years (doing weird prog music; it's hard), and nothing is going well for me in this city or others. I'm considering giving up. Now I'm bored with New Orleans, but I've got alot of money saved up and I could put a hefty deposit on a house, and rent out half of it, and slowly buy more rental properties and become independantly wealthy. Or I could move to NYC and give my dreams one last shot. What do you think?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Only You can adequately answer that question.

The only way to know for sure is to go. You're not guaranteed success, but you are persuing the dream of finding that musical combination.

Good Luck.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I would think it is going to be hard wherever you go - is there any call for weird prog music these days anywhere? I mean if you said - I'm going to New York to play Jazz , then yes it wold sound like a good decision!

But how about trying to play something that people actually want to hear - music is a two-way process and if you aren't communicating anything to an audience, then maybe this is life's way of telling you to do some other kind of music, rather than moving on?

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I love these kind of questions. I used to just "leap" whenever a chance came along, but now I take things a lot slower and mull them over. (I guess that's the Daddy in me . . . :)
    Anyhow, I think it isn't the location you're fed up with, but rather the music scene. I live in a much smaller town than you, with a lot less happening, but I can still find musicians I like playing with. Are you sure you have exhausted every avenue for finding like-minded souls? Perhaps you could look at hot players coming out of the College/University age spectrum for some fresh energy. I teach at a College, and the student's enthusiasm can be really inspiring.
    NYC is a great place to visit, but living there seems pretty difficult -high rent, low pay for gigs, lots more competition for work. I dunno, buy a smaller house and commute every few months to recharge your batteries?

Just some deep thoughts,
    LM

5. The only way to live your dreams is to wake up.

6. I don't think there are many bands doing prog anymore (sadly enough). .If you really want to try NYC out for a while, you'd be best off finding a cheap appartment in the suburbs and commuting.

I think you should just buy a house instead and do gigging on the side. Then again, it's your life. ;)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Their really ins't much of a scene in NYC anymore. :(

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not looking to make it big or anything, I just want to play. New Orleans is a VERY traditional town, and there is almost nothing but funk, bad jazz, and cover bands. Sick of it.