New Zon Legacy Elite Special Arrived Today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damian Coccio, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Hey Folks,
    I wanted to share with you yet another example of Joe Zon's incredible work. Fedex dropped it of this morning. I started Joe on this back in April and it was worth every second of the wait. Along the way he sent pics and kept me up to date.

Here are the wood specs:
    Figured Bubinga top, beautiful figured mahogany back. This bass is the most incredible fretless ive ever played. Punchy, huge fat bottom (even set flat), rich poppy mids, wonderfully articulate highs. It came in with the action set just how I like it; very low. This bass is so comfortable and easy to play, its just ridiculous. If anybody has not played one of these, you have to check one out.
    Can you tell im excited! (sorry about the sideways pic, but I got to run.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice! That is the best looking Legacy I have ever seen.

Does the Special have the same pickups and preamp as the Elite, or are they different?

With a middle and a bridge humbucker, I'll bet that thing has growl for days.:cool:
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's not a model you see too often, but it's a beauty, and I bet a killer fretless. Doesn't Michael Manring also have one like that?

4. Damian Coccio

Feb 7, 2002

The electronics are the zp-2D bass, treble, mid adjust. The pickups are custom wound barts. The woods are really cool, the figured mahogany back is stunning. Your right the growl on this thing is just ridiculous. Panning to just the middle pickup, gives a nice deep yet focused Jazz walking tone.

I think Michael does have one of these.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Great basses... I love my Legacy Standard fretless 5 as much as the day I got it several years ago.

<<----------:bassist: :D
  7. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Niiice. I wish I had money so I could get sommadat fabled Zon mwaaaahhh.
  8. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    sweet axe man! does the p/u configuration give it a thin sound, or what kind of sound does it get?
  9. Damian Coccio

Feb 7, 2002
    With just the bridge pickup its sounds like sort of a J with bridge only. With both pickups mixed its incredibly fat and focused and even with no eq boost it has tons of fat rich bottom. Anything but thin. Truthfully, I was floored when I first plugged it in. Maybe its because of the 2 soapbars (4 coils altogether). Just for reference, I have also had a spector ns5, and still have a smith 6EG. This zon absolutely without a doubt has a a deeper richer low end and a much stronger B than any of my other basses.
  10. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Very cool bass! I really like the pick-ups position. Mahogany & Bubinga, what an excellent wood combo .... Enjoy ;)