Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Zon Sonus Custom 5 fretless in progress..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nightshifter, Jun 3, 2003.

1. It starts with this extraordinary decent piece of wood I chose from Joe Zon's suggestions :

Wonder how it develops... :oops:

2. Sorry, the pic got lost somehow !
    I sent it to the webmaster already to fix it :bawl:

the basic features:
    - swamp ash back
    - AAAA spalted maple top
    - 2 Bart dual coil PUs
    - piezo bridge
    - ZP-2D active 3-band electronics
    - phenowood fretless board unlined w/ side dots & lines
    - black hardware

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    paul to the rescue! Here's the pic:

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ooh!! Nice spalt!!

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    oooh.....sweet! and, the obligatory "can't wait till its finished"!

6. Sorry to keep you waiting so long!
    Today Joe sent me the first pic of the cut out body.... what do you think of it ?

[​IMG]

7. I love the quilting in the wood. Just me, I would have grabbed more of the spalt and incorporated it into the top - just me though:D

8. That's the way Joe did it... I had to rely on him :rolleyes:

9. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I like the look of that spalted top. Not usually much into that type of wood, but looks nice.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice! My Sonus Custom fretless 5 is at the top of my list. Great bass! When is the completion date?

11. Hi Jeff, estimatedly in 3 or 4 weeks! It was your beautiful instrument that inspired me a lot - i was already at the point to ask Joe to find me a very copy of this beautiful top on your Sonus :oops:
    But then I switched to decent spalt maple, so yours will certainly stay top of the list! :D

12. The next step: Joe just sent me the first pic of the carved body.. seems it's getting even more beautiful with each further step of work! :D

13. NICE!!!:eek: :cool:

14. at first i agreed with Zon4John and would have said i personally would have had more of the spalt.

but looking at it at the carved stage i must say just that little bit of spalt really suits that bass!

Tom

15. Tom, that's exactly what I felt about it! It was the best fitting of the three pieces of spalt maple to choose from; at first it even felt like a bit too little spalt in it for me, but the other two were way too figured for me. What I first had in mind was something like this, to be honest: something exactly like this: :oops:
    But in the meantime, I'm more than happy with the my babys' evolving personality :D
    Peter

16. WOW!!!! :eek:

That's looking great!! Can't wait to hear it! Congrats.

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yuck!! Horrible!! You should not have to be subjected to that....you should send it to me so that I can properly play...er, dispose of it. :D

Just kidding! I think that it's going to turn out beautifully. It will be nice to see the photos that you get from Joe as he progresses. If you will share them with us, please.

18. Joe is almost done with my frettless baby.
    Final buffing was completed today and he'd start assembling from there. So, by Friday it will come to life and be ready to ship. :D