1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Zoom B1on pedal for an aging techniphobe owner! Help getting octaver!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JazzCrazy, Apr 13, 2019.

1. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    I just got a Zoom B1on bass guitar multi effect pedal on the recommendation of do many happy users. I'm not too impressed, it's a lot like my DigiTech BP-90, but one appealing feature is it can run hours on batteries.

I want only a few basic effects: Octaver, compression, reverb, delay & chorus. Frankly I'm overwhelmed trying to figure this thing out, & the user Manual's so small it's illegible both in booklet form & on my android.

Bottom line is I must have a clear no frills octaver function. Octave above not below, & I'm beginning to think this highly lauded unit can't even perform that essential function

Can any satisfied B1on user instruct me on how to get an octaver effect?

2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Update: Oops. What I wrote below is actually for the B3n. Sorry. Somehow missed this crutial detail. I'll leave it anyway because the units are quite similar.

----

I think you can get this via the PitchSHFT effect. Start with a blank patch, add this, and see what it gets you. You'll need to set 'shift' to 12 and play around with 'BAL' to get the right mix with the unaffected sound.

Or you can try pre-configured patch 014 ("+RthmGtr").

I actually been meaning to try octave-up myself but haven't got round to it yet.

3. 1.Download the manual on your computer (if you can)
    2. While the Octaver is not great, it can do a passable job if you work it. I do find using both the Octaver then the Mono Pitch Shifter down and octave followed by a compressor does the trick for me on the Zooms. Also you cannot play low on the neck and have to use very very precise touch for the best results and as with all things practice practice practice.

4. I have the Digitech BP50--- and am equally confused-- and annoyed-- Like you I only want a couple effects--- if any-- most the time--
    I bought a Behringer Compressor -- and am on the hunt for a decent cheap bass fuzz/muff-- beyond that I need no more---
    maybe some cheap individual pedals would prove to be easier -- and more functional???

5. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    I can't seem to really find the octaver. I'm totally baffled. I'll call zoom Monday & try to get step by step instructions getting all my desired patches. I doubt they'll help.

6. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Both the DigiTech and Zoom pedals aren't very good in bypass, there's noticeable loss of detail & palpability. The patch effects are merky & add hiss. The only plus of the zoom is its long battery life & compact size.

And yes, compression's the only effect needed for 90% of my fretted bass stuff, & maybe 50% of the fretless bass stuff. Otherwise, my desired use of all those other effects is not often.

BamaBird likes this.
  7. maybe individual options would prove better?

The only thing I really use the BP for is it has built in adjustable Drum Rhythms --- which is SOOO Much more FUN and less boring than practicing to a metronome ... the rest of the functions on the thing Ive just ignored for some time-- too big a P,I,A., -- I want to PLAY my bass not FIDDLE with techno crap-- :)

JazzCrazy likes this.
  8. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I’ve had the b3, ms60b, and after extensive fiddling, find the b10n to be the most versatile in my humble opinion. It’s layout is great. There are effects combinations you can put together that the ms60b runs out of memory. It’s smaller footprint than the b3 (by a little anyway). I don’t have the brand new one, but like the version I have.

9. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Which Behringer compressor do you have? Is it absolutely noiseless, with little signal loss & coloration?

I see 2 on eBay. They both have sustain & attack knobs--I dont know what that has to do with limiting. Another version has attack, sustain & tone.

Behringer does have several affordable stand alone pedals. That's a lot of batteries & small cables. Lot's of potential to pick up hums & hisses along the way.

10. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    You're a better man than I for figuring how to extract various effects. To me the thing makes no sense. My BP-90 is much easier to use, but like the Zoom there's a loss of palpability, crispness, detail & transient response.

This B1on might be salvageable once I figure out how to access just 5 very basic functions: compressor, octaver, reverb, delay, chorus, & I still can't get basic step by step instructions from anybody. If those effects ate present (somewhere in the unit) apparently they are called something else other than compression, octaver, etc.

No fancy combinations I need, just those basics. BTW I'll have plenty of romm in the pedal to create my own patches. I turned EVERY existing patch into bypass. EBERY one because they are so LAME, silly & unconvincing.

(I have about 96 hours to decide if the unit is usabl & start the eBay return)

11. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    This octaver is strictly for playing teen town, as I anticipate no keyboardist I know cod play it perfect in unison an active up

12. Sorry I missed that you wanted the octave up. The Zoom actually has two of those available and the algorithm is pretty good once you get a handle on it. Pitch shift is polyphonic and Bass Pitch is monophonic. Bass Pitch is a bit phatter and you might try using a comp or preamp before or after and possibly one of the synth tones.

13. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    I did call Zoom & immediately got someone to help me. Now I do know how to access the various effects. Now it's simply a matter of evaluating the quality of sound.

(Again, what's so appealing about this compact unit is that battery life is long enough that I can use an instrument cable of any length & not worry about tetheri g the unit to an extension cord & adapter. For that reason I'm willing to compromise on quality

bassbrad likes this.
  14. Plus rechargeable batteries are getting much better. I did all my flyaways last year using rechargeable batteries, saved a lot of time and hassle. Likely will do the same again this year.

15. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    OK, it works buy pitch shift doesn't sound convincing but it'll have to do
    (Check out Marcus Miller slapping Teen Town live on YouTube. His octaver's convince ing, but I'll never slap Teen Town either!

16. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    I did dowoad the manual on my tablet & could actually read it. One thing is that the Opt Comp compressor is quite noiseless & does the job well. Compression is the single most important & most usable thing for me. To think I nearly blew $200 on an MXR compressor.

Other good features is that I can use Raggae Bass patch as a starting point, & turn in into a fat thumpy upright bass patch (with slight reverb) to use with my fretless bass.

I'm disappointed with the pitch shift as an octaver, but for $60 it's actually pretty useful