new ZOOM multi effects pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Warwick0239, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I was thinking of getting the new zoom multi effects pedal that sam ash has out. anyone like it?
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Zoom is crap. Thats the fastest description I can give.
    Even Digitech´s are not good enough. The only Effects (regarding pedals) that are very good are the Boss Pedals and Floorboards or racks too.
    But the zoom, is the worst to my experience.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that about says it...cheaply made.
  4. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    Which pedal are you talking about? I have heard good things about the BFX708II.
    Most of the users here are going to answer "Zoom is crap" without ever having used the product. Too bad they are deciding how good an entire company is, based on having tried out the lowest priced model (the 506 most likely). This is known as being a gear snob. The only good products are the ones that they use. :rolleyes:
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    completely agree with you. if you look at my profile, you'll see that I have not spent a ton of money on my set-up--but that doesn't mean you can't be selective and still make an evaluation of certain brands/quality. He asked for opinions. Unfortunately, I have returned two multi-effects pedals from this company due to the fact that they didn't do what they said they did. I bought them because I thought it was worth a try. Live an learn. I have not used the BFX708II, but he didn't ask about a specific one.

I apologize if the "generalization" of Zoom is crap was too harsh a reference, but sometimes when you have trouble with a brand, that sticks with you. Since I've seen a LOT of comments like that on here, it seemed appropriate, if not somewhat accurate.

In the end, you are correct, it all depends on the user and what he/she is looking for out of it.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I agree with you. BUT.
    I used to sell Zoom effects, and I have tried Rack effects, Zoom 506 505, 700 series, BFX, GFX-4 and 8 etc... Im not talking from ignorance.
    I had a 506 and 506 II wich I still have and I think it sucks its guts.
  7. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    But that is my point... I only see those kind of comments HERE...not on any of the other bass forums I frequent.
    In a head to head, the Zoom BFX708 beat the Digitech BP200 hands down for me, but people here praise the Digitech and condemn all Zoom pedals.
    On the other hand, Sam Ash's website only lists the 607, which is just the 506 with an expression pedal. If that is the one you are looking at, I'd recommend against it, too.
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I cannot comment about head to head comparison with the Digitech...haven't messed with one, but trust me...I fully understand junk. I still use a Korg AX1B that IMO is worse than the Zoom, but because of the similarities in "crap factor" it doesn't seem logical to replace crap with more crap of similar scent. This stuff is just my opinion...but it helps me kinda understand why some folks are negative about multi-effects pedals.
    I'm guilty of buying them cause it was cheaper, then I realize the only thing I like on it is one of the effects (like the Low Flanger on my Korg).

These are the struggles of a poor man trying to buy equipment;)
  9. I got news for ya,.....all multi-fx are crap!!!! your better off with a few quality fx than you are with a ton of usless crap...figure which fx you like a lot,and get some good stompbox type fx....because thats where you'll end up anyway.....
  10. rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I have had the Zoom 708 and the Digitech BP200. The 708 IMO was superior to the BP200. However, neither of the pedals were adequate for my needs. First, I don't want a pedal with a drum patterns
    Second, I don't want a pedal with a tuner
    Decent multi effects pedals are out there, but you're gonna have to spend a few pennies. I just purchased a Boss GT-6B. This is a decent multi effects pedal. Roland also makes a nice multi effects pedal V-Bass.
  11. this thread if getting ugly...
    anyway heres my 3 cents:
    everything i have played/owned by zoom was crap... fact... sorry there were all just terrible... yes maybe if you are on a serios budget and dont care about tone they might be ok for you but i cannot recommend any of them for anyone
    i personally cant recommend any multi-effect pedals... i have not tried the newer boss unit but im not eager to... a lot of highter end multi-effect rack units are wonderful but sorry to let all newcommers know that you are not going to find some magic way of getting 30 spectacular effects in a 100 dollar package.... (you are lucky if you will get one)
  12. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    That's all well and good, but what happens when you want to turn a few effects on or off at the same time in the middle of a song? Like from a distorted flange to a clean chorus? Do you try to turn the dist and flange off and the chorus on without looking like a tapdancer, or do you get a multieffect and do it with one tap?
  13. id personally rather tapdance or simply get a line selector or ab box than have the clean chorus and distorted flange sound like crap
  14. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    I'd rather get a good multi effect so that the sounds don't sound like crap. Usually if you read the instruction manual, you can figure out how to edit the multi effects to make them sound better, too. Add to all of that that you aren't going to be able to hear a difference in a live band situation over a PA. Again, gear snobbery.
  15. While I would still give the nod to analog at this point, I recently did purchase a Zoom 708II and I must say that I may eliminate a lot of weight and bulk from my analog board (MXR bass octave, Boss PW-10 V-wah, NS2 Noise Suppressor and TU8) and put the multi unit alongside the USA Bassballs and Boss bass synth. This will of course be after I do all the patch editing the way I want it, which seems pretty possible from reading the manual. It looks like a good deal of time must be spent, which I don't have enough of, but Christmas'll be quiet.

I think a lot of folks are selling multifx short because of bad experience or programming intimidation. I would still advise the effects novice to build via analog, but to those with the intestinal fortitude and mental acuity, the multi's can harbor great promise.

Anybody know where to trade patches online? This thing's got a Smart Media drive that should be quite cool.
  16. I've tested a Zoom PS-02 (palmtop studio) last week-end, and I was really impressed by the effects of this small machine. I didn't use many effects with the bass, but the few ones I used with my guitar were very good. With some tweeking I could get some Satriani sounds (with the ring modulator, very good). The overdrives were very good through the headphone. But I don't know how It would sound through a live rig ...
    It's the first and only zoom device I have ever tried, but I liked it a lot.
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I regularly use a Zoom 505-II in my signal chain. Despite the poor experiences others seem to have had, it works very well for me. Most of the time I'm just using it as an inline tuner and, if I'm playing in the group where there's appropriate space, I might add some chorus, tremelo or distortion from time to time.

It sounds like most people have a different opinion, but I'd suggest trying it out if possible before dismissing the idea.

18. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I think people that bash ZOOM don't really understand the whole concept of ZOOM. It's basically a toy and a practice tool and a damn fine one for the money. I like my ZOOM because I just use it to practice and have fun with. It fits in the pocket of my gig bag and is very light weight, so I don't even know it's there when I'm walking with the bag. The fact that most of the effects are good enough for most live situations and a couple are even good enough to record with is just an added bonus. If you want it to sound like an Eventide Ultraharmonizer, than go spend the 2000+ on one.
  19. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I have the Zoom 506 and BFX-708. I think they're great!! I switched to the Boss GT-6B and I don't think it's any better - and it costs $250 more!

Just remember what was said previously. These units all try to be a "jack-of-all-trades." None are good enough to record with. But they sure do sound nice live.

Zooms are easy to program. They offer an exceptionally broad range of sounds and effects. They're budget priced. What more do you want?