1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New ZYEX Medium G, very Positive First Impressions w Sound Sample

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rickwolff, Apr 29, 2015.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

For years all I played was Spirocore Mittels. I still have them on my Shen SB-80 ply, but on my Shen 7/8 carved Gemunder the Spiro G was a bit too 'nasel' sounding to my ears. I first tried an Evan Pirazzi G, but I didn't feel that blended well with the rest of the Spiros and it gave up too much sustain for my liking.

I ended up buying a used set of Helicore Hybrid Mediums. I'd had those strings on my Eminence EUB and quite liked them. I've had the HH on for maybe six months and I don't know how old they were when I got them. They were still working fine, but I was starting to think they might be starting to age. Rather than just buy a new set of HH I thought I'd try a ZYEX.

Just arrived from Gollihur today and right out of the package I'm really liking it. Some folks have said it was a bit 'zingy' when new and had to settle in a bit. That may well be true, but I would be happy to play a gig with it today (assuming it stays in tune well enough before 'stretching in'.

If a picture is worth a thousand words a sound clip must be worth something. I have attached a clip of me noodling a little bit, both arco and pizz. This is straight acoustic into my Zoom H4n about 2 feet in front of the bridge (probably a little too close and a little too 'hot' but it gives the idea.

I'm looking forward to trying this setup this Friday on a quartet gig and probably adding the D and A string after that.

On nice surprise is that this string speaks so quickly and so well under the bow that it may re-kindle my interest in classical/arco work that I really haven't done for over 25 years. (Ain't retirement grand?)

Attached Files:

Reiska likes this.
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    So this is full zyex or Spiro with Zyex G?

3. rickwolff

Sorry for the confusion Bskts. What you are hearing is a Spiro Mittel E, Helicore Hybrid Medium A and D and a Brand New Zyex G.

I have been playing Helicore Hybrid Medium A,D and G over my trusty Spriro Mittel E. I plan to put Zyex A and D on to match the G, but just wanted to try the G first as an economy tactic.

I'll add to my post after a gig and after I add the Zyez A and D.

Thanks for your question.

4. It's nice to hear how it mixes. Thanks for the audio clip.

5. rickwolff

CORRECTION: I stated that my Helicore Hybrids were Mediums. I misspoke, they are LIGHTS, The new Zyex IS a medium and I am ordering the D next.

6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I played on a bass at jazz fest (New Orleans) today that was strung with Zyex. It was a plywood and sounded/felt good. Didn't get to bow them but they sounded punchy and warm. Not a lot of grawl which I kind of missed from a full spiro set

7. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Rick, have you come to any conclusions about Zyex -HH ? I like your post, and going through string experimenting myself ....

8. rickwolff

Irh, In a nutshell, I like the Zyez for pizz but I think I prefer the HHLights for arco (the Zyex D doesn't seem to start as easily under the bow). Since I do so little arco I'm sticking with the Zyex. It might be interesting to try out a NEW set of HHs but I'm not going to do that now.

How are you liking the Troll and the MAS 4x5? If I thought I could get the sound I'm getting on gig recordings using a little condenser mic by using the Troll and an MAS I would have trouble talking myself out of spending the money (which, so far, I have done).

Here's a couple clips that will show you the sound of the strings: Zyex G and D, HH Light A (still in good shape and blends fine so I haven't bothered changing it out) and a Spiro Mittel E. Pardon the sloppy playing these weren't intended for public consumption but they do show the sound of the bass and strings pretty well. Recorded direct to my Zoom H4N using a $20 condenser mic right above the bridge.

Attached Files:

9. lrhbass

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Nice, A good blend between the strings! I like the acoustic aspect of your playing.... I was wondering about why you got away from the HH for the G.. Looking to maybe try the HH, for the top strings combined with Spiro W. E-A,on one of my Basses also . I did not have too much luck with the Zyex ,a good string but a bit too much sustain and zing as they say. My bass likes the gut thing, but have yet found something that works with size and feel... curious about the Innovation Strings...
    The Troll is working well ,I combine it with the AI Flex going to to the 4-5, or 2-6....both great speakers!

10. rickwolff

I think I just 'got away' from the HH G because it (and the D) seemed to be getting a little long in the tooth and losing some of their 'lustre'. Also, I just wanted to try the Zyex after reading alot about them. I may well go back (eventually) to the HH light for the G, D, A and just keep the Spiro E.

Wow! You have BOTH the 4x5 and the 2x6?? I'm jealous. How do they compare (primarily for upright but also doubling). Do you have the latest version of the drivers (which go lower and louder apparently?) I like the somewhat smaller size and lower weight (I think) of the 2x6. I'm thinking that and a Troll might be the ticket. Your thoughts?

I'd be looking to amplify the acoustic sound which I'm getting directly into the recorder as much as possible.

11. lrhbass

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Both boxes are great! The 2-6 is the newest with the updated drivers. And it appears to be just a little louder with a little more low end. The 2-6 six I would say ,would not be too much smaller, it has a different shape,shorter but wider . I think the 4-5 is a little easier to get around with. Together they are killer for any outdoor loud big band type gig you might have to contend with that requires more muscle etc. They great for the Electric side of things also. Mike has created some really cool cabinets for those that want a really refined sound. I have owned and operated some great boxes over the years
    including powered monitors etc.these are well with the money...
    The Troll works well also,it definitely has been a lot better on the job than the DPA or the AMT with less feed -back and better performance possibilities. I can't get a lot of volume a lot of times ,which no mike can completely do, at all times,but enough to create a great sound blended some times, with my Lifeline... As time goes on I am getting better at dialing up a decent sound with the AI gear also... live and learn,,,,