Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by drumminbassgrl, Jun 17, 2005.

1. drumminbassgrl

Jun 17, 2005
    hey im new at bass and i just started last week. i decided to teach myself and am doing pretty well. i was wondering if it would be better to get lessons with someone. i was also wondering about how long it takes until i would be ready to play in a band. thank you.

2. A teache isn't necessary, but a teacher is always better. You have to weigh your progress to find out whether it would be a worthwhile investment. Taking just a couple lessons might help you get started on the right track. It takes different people different amounts of time to be able to play with others, but a good rule of thumb is to start as soon as possible. Start looking for musicians to play with as soon as you feel ready. You might set up jam sessions if you can find someone who wants to play. Then you'd get some valuable experience without trying to begin gigging before you're ready. There's no skill level you have to attain first; it depends entirely on how fast you can find someone to play with.
  3. drumminbassgrl

Jun 17, 2005
    ok thank you. i am in a band and was playin the keyboard for the bass part while i was waiting to get the bass. i have a book called progressive bass by gary turner and brendon white with a cd and dvd. i dont know if you've heard of it, but would that be enough? would i be able to get by in the band with temporarily knowing only the notes and a few chords and riffs? thanx again.
  4. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    It all depends how far you want to go with your bass studies. How serious about your musicianship are you? Anyone can play in a band. What kind of music are you playing? Are you doing Ramones cover tunes? When the Ramones started out, they weren't even able to get all the way through some of their songs (as simple as their songs are).

5. If I could live my life over...

I would get a teacher right away. Starting solo almost guarantees that you will start learning bad habits, especially with respect to technique. This muscle memory bad technique is hard and time consuming to unlearn. Start right!

One thing I have learned about lessons is that it is O.K. to start and stop. If you feel overwhelmed, you stop for a while and try to absorb what you've been exposed to. When you start to feel like you need new ideas to work on, take a few more lessons. The teachers may not like it too much, because it is a regular income issue for many of them, but some folks (like me) learn really slow, and maybe $35 a week doesn't work for you.

My advice is, don't bother trying to invent the wheel. It's been done, and you can pay a nice woman or man to explain it to you very efficiently. Learn from others! Don't learn bad habits! And above all, enjoy the ride, and enjoy it with other musicians!