1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb bass amp Q's from a guitarist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Hey everyone. I'm a guitarist and new here. I'm going to be taking up the bass guitar position in a new project I'm in and I don't know much about bass amps. The group will be playing mainly medium-sized clubs and some will not have a PA capable of producing an acceptable direct-out bass sound (small PA speakers).

I'm looking for suggestions for a portable bass amp that can handle this task which while not breaking the bank. I'm partial to Fender basses, so I'll mostly likely be using a P or a J bass and the music will be rock/alternative rock.

Thanks much!

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Generally speaking, you'll probably need something along the lines of a 300W (or larger) amp and a 410 (or larger) cab. A small combo will most likely not be sufficient for the kind of music and venues you're talking about.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I humbly suggest that you consider the Gallien-Krueger MB212 combo. 500 watts into 2 12" speakers and it weighs under 40 lbs. Costs about $700 new. They are hard to find as they just came out and are pretty popular because of the cost/weight-to-power ratio. But it would be worth the effort to track one down IMO. You'll have a VERY hard time getting that much power in such an affordable and portable package anywhere else.

4. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Wow, that looks like the answer right there! They look fairly new, so finding one used will probably be pretty difficult.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I would love to hear more!

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I agree with others above that you want 4 speakers or more. I would not expect 2x12's to cover a loudish gig with no PA support regardless if it's 500w's or not. Speaker coverage will keep you heard.

6. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    You might also look at the Gallien-Krueger MB210 combo. Very similar to the MB212, except it includes a connector to drive an external speaker cab.

I'm pretty new to this myself but I've heard lots of people say it's not just the watts but how much speaker area you have, so the MB210 coupled with an external cabinet might be better than the MB212 (which you can't hook to an external cab).

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I have a buddy who is thinking of selling his mint Ampeg 410 HLF cab and I'm pretty sure I can grab it off him for around $400. Maybe I should do that, grab some kind of head and call it a day?

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I guess portable is in the eye of the beholder! Why not 2X 4X10s?

9. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    i'd grab that 410 hlf and buy a head, at least 100 tube watts :bassist:

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The 410HLF is a very good stand-alone cab, and the price is reasonable (although if you shop around, you might be able to score one for a little less). Being that it's a 4ohm cab, you're going to get the most out of pretty much whatever amp you hook it up to.

The next step if to hit eBay, craigslist, and (best of all) the TB Classifieds, and look for an amp that fits your price range. When you find something that you think might be a good fit, come back to this forum and do a seach to see what other users are saying about it.

11. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    You get what you pay for. Good Bass equipment is not cheap.
    I am invested in Ampeg and Fender. Now an Ampeg 410HLF 4ohm cab would set you up. Try to get these used if possible. I prefer new but see what's out there first. By going with a head and a separate cab you can replace either one as the need arises. I see that the HLF is already mentioned......................................:cool:

12. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    $400 is a good price for the 410HLF, go for it. I've been through a few cabs, and I recently came back to the 410HLF. It's a great cab, although I personally didn't like the sound of a tube amp through it (too "loose" of a sound, probably because it is ported and goes very deep. I like sealed cabs with tube amps.)

I'm using it with a Mark Bass LMII (500 watts in to 4 ohms) and it'll cover pretty much any venue I play, including larger clubs. The LMII heads can be found for less than $400.

13. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Markbass LMII and Ampeg SVT 410HLF would be a very capable rig. You would definitely be able to hear yourself, that's for sure.

14. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Look and listen carefully to be sure the speakers haven't been trashed. Any unexpected noise or distortion is cause for concern. Any creases in the cones mean the speakers are shot.

15. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I was present every time that cab was used meaning it was used at lower volumes about 15 times. :smug:

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i disagree completely. it all depends on the 2x12 cab.
    with enough power, my el whappo jr. easily puts out as much or more than my ampeg 8x10 fridge (or my 610HLF), and my 1212/6 puts out as much as any of my three 2x15 cabs.
    my band plays pretty darn loud sometimes, and i never have PA support.

17. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    OK, my buddy agreed to sell me his mint and barely used Ampeg 410 HLF for $400. Now what heads should I be considering? I plan on purchasing and playing a Jazz Bass through it. Being a guitarist, I love the skinnier neck!

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, for the money, its hard to beat a Markbass LM II or a GK 1001RBII.

19. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Found a Markbass LMII for $300. Hmmmmm...........

20. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that's a steal!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020