Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newb: Dean bass guitars and a general question..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by braindead0, Mar 9, 2004.

1. braindead0

braindead0

Feb 7, 2004
    Trying to search for Dean is almost useless, I reviewed all the newbie related threads I could find and found one mention of Dean bass guitars....

I emailed a local shop asking if they has the Ibanez jumpstart kits (from what I can tell that seems to be a decent starting point), and they responded with:

Sounds like a load of bunk to me, perhaps I should either pop up to Guitar Center in Cleveland (ack, if I can get outta there without spending mega $$ on 'stuff')... or order an Essex.

One other thing I'm wondering, that may make a difference on what I should buy. I've got pretty large hands, heck I'm just plain a big guy (6'2", 250#) and I wonder if some brands or styles of basses are better for da big folks.

Thanks! This place has been an awesome resource... I hope to get a kit and find a teacher sometime soon...

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean basses are fantastic, I've got a 5 string fretless Edge that cost me $400 4 years ago, and I love it more every time I play it. I would recommend a Dean starter kit without hesitation. Personally I don't like Ibanez, I'd buy a Dean starter kit over Ibanez any day of the week. That's just personal preferance though, take it as you will.

Also, personally I greatly prefer supporting smaller local shops over big conglomerates/chains like Guitar Center. Buy local!! :bassist:

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    +1

Dean makes a surprisingly good bass for being a low end starter. I am hot on the trail of trying to get a 12 string of theirs. By all accounts in my research, it is way cheaper than the import Hamer 12, and solved all the problems with that too (neck too thin, no low end on the pickups, balances poorly). Sounds like a winner to me.

4. braindead0

braindead0

Feb 7, 2004
    Wow, that was a surprise for me... I too prefer to support local shops, but I don't care much for their response.

I asked a straighforward question "do you carry x" which they never answered all the while proceeding to market 'y'.

But, if these are 'good stuff'.. I can deal with that..

How about for big handed monster people? Or is that just irrelevant if you learn proper technique.

Thanks!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you're looking at entry level gear, the answer is that almost ALL the name brands make a decent product. Dean, Peavey, Yamaha, Ibanez. Squier, Washburn... Off brands are more of a gamble but usually compensate with insane low prices (like mail order basses for under $100)

Many of these basses are built in the same factories using the same pickups and hardware. Not that they are all alike, but ther's not THAT much variation betwen brands. The $150-300 range is insanely competitive and it's hard to go wrong.

What IS important is deciding what dealer to buy from. The after sale support is going to be more important than what brand of bass you get. Almost every bass in that price range is a variation on the Fender Precision or Jazz Bass anyway.

Hit the local shops, find one that is comfortbale to play and sounds good to you and ignore the name on the headstock.

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    6'2 - 235lbs. I have big hands, and tend to prefer wide necks, as they feel normal too me. Something slim, like an early 70's jazz bass feels like a guitar to me, I want to strum barre chords with it.

I prefer my instruments bigger. I am of the physical size that I play a Gibson Thunderbird and the reach to the first fret is NOT troublesome to me. There should be warning signs in the stores that sell those basses... Do not purchase unless you are least as tall as this line..."

7. braindead0

braindead0

Feb 7, 2004
    Looks like I'm going to do some more looking around for a decent store. I asked these guys if they had an Ibanez jumpstart, and he comes back with a Dean package that is just a bass and headphone amp, nothing else. Hardly comparable. If he'd said "we've got this dean package, and could throw in a gig bag, tuner...etc for X dollars.. ie: made me some sort of deal.. then I'd probably shop there.

After looking over their prices going this route for a starter package will cost $500 after you buy everything else needed..

Thanks again for the answers to my questions here.. and tolerating yet another newbie.. There's tons of small music shops around here, have to start checking them all out.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Unfortunately that's true probably. I don't think Dean really competes in the starter package market.

Take a look at the Essex basses at Rondo Music www.rondomusic.com , email Kurt and see what he can put together for you. You'll need a practice amp, a bass, a cord, a tuner, and a strap. And picks if you want to try playing that way (and it's a fine way to play). :cool:

9. braindead0

braindead0

Feb 7, 2004
    That's another route, I have been looking at the Essex basses there.. didn't think about emailing and asking. I usually prefer to get my hands on something before buying it though, so after I've exhausted my local stores that'll be the next step (instead of going the big-box guitar center route).

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    i just got dean edge4 4string for 218$ +20$ shipping... some crappy practice amp will be what? 50$? there ya go... super start kit due to edge4 being not-to-bad bass :] (350$ in store plus tax)

just gota look for deal i geuss
    I liked the damn thing in store... should get my soon hope its as good:]

Cheers fellas:]
    Serg