1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newb-I bought a very dirty Geddy Lee. How do I clean it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by in the wind, Apr 9, 2009.

1. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    The fretboard has a 1lb of scum on it. It looks like poly (the fretboard). What would I use on that? The body is filthy too. All of the metal-bridge & tuning keys are filthy. What would I use on them? Any good polish for the body? Any household stuff that I can use? Thank you, Michael

2. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Whatever you do, DO NOT put household products on it! They contain silicon, the bane of all finishes. A soft lint-free piece of cotton like a t-shirt, and a little slightly soapy warm water carefully applied should get most of the gunk off. If you still think it needs a protective re-coating of some kind after that, ask the question again.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Congrats on the Geddy. Even when clean, get used to lots of fingerprints!

I agree with the soapy water. Dont use anything found under the kitchen sink, period. Just take your time.

Patience, young Padawan.

4. Citrus oil + old T-Shirt.

I have rescued many basses from many bad houses.

5. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks guys. I don't know anything except that I love my new G Lee. So I'll be asking more questions.

6. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I like Smith (the bass company) polish. I has just enough cleaners and just enough polish to give you that "just waxed" feeling. I think I paid about $6 or $8 for the bottle and it lasted years.
    Most of the other guitar polishes don't really seem to do anything.
    If you don't want to spend any money, a damp cloth and a little elbow grease seem to work well.
    Be careful not to rub too hard though. Sometimes you can smudge the clear coat if you generate enough friction.
    Mineral oil works well after it soaks in to the crusty funk.

7. Wind-
    Congrats on the bass.
    I use lemon pledge in a spray bottle, not the aerosol type or some guitar polish/cleaner and a couple of large towels. Maybe some tee shirt material wrapped around a soft toothbrush for the frets and metal. Plan on spending a couple of days cleaning it and getting to know your new bass.

8. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    slightly damp soft cloth