NewB like question regarding my Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Aug 16, 2005.

1. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I've noticed that when I place all the tone controls on my Mesa 400+ to "0", no sound is produced. Is this normal for the Mesa? Tube amps in general?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'll have to try that.

The only thing I can think of right off is that in the most basic way, a tone knob is just a volume that covers a specific tonal range. Therefore, if they're all down, no volume?

At least that's the best I can do right now...

3. I think that my Alembic F1-x might do this as well.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's normal for many amps using the "Fender" passive tone stack, but only if there is no additional midrange boost (kind of a misnomer, but...) resistor in the circuit. There are many other tone stack arrangements used in tube amps that don't work like this. It's also possible to use the "Fender" stack in solid state amps, and it'll behave the same way as it does in a tube amp.
  5. Yes, I've got several old amps that use passive tone stacks, so when all the tone knobs are down, there's no sound.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Thanks Guys! The Mesa is definitely based on the Fender tone stack, so it sounds like it's normal operation.
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    they way it was explained to me. the tone pots are volumes for that tone....

i never tried it with them all the way down, but i do have the mids all the way up, the bass at like 5-6, and the treble at about 8=9
  8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My Mesa 400+ does the same thing. I never notice that before!
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

I'm not sure what made me try it! I was just goofing off trying different settings, and when I put everything to 0, sound!