Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newb Needs Any Help He Can Get

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dustklose, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    I'm new to the bass world...well not really i've played for a year..but thats it i've played...i really dont know much about what i play......i got some questions....what is the pot on a bass...i hear pple saying things about them but i dont know what they are....and what is innotation....what is all included in setting up a guitar??? i need any help i can get on guitars please help me :help: :bassist: :help:

2. "pot".. short for potentiometer. Those are the volume/tone controls on your bass. They are variable resistors. Sometimes they get dirty and make scratchy noises when you turn them and need cleaning or replacing. Sometimes they seem to last forever.

Did you mean "intonation"? For what you're probably referring to, that's keeping a string in proper tune all the way up the scale of the neck. You want the open string note to be in tune with the 12th fret note on the same string. This is done by adjusting the speaking length of the string at the bass bridge.
    Here's some info that can describe it better than I can right now.

http://www.petersontuners.com/news/ttopics/results.cfm?this_topic=3

As far as learning setups, there's tons of info right here at this site, starting at the top of this page. Read the Gary Willis info. It's good stuff.

Mag...

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you go to www.mrgearhead.com and click on the Fender link on the left, you'll have the option of some articles on setup.