Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newb needs to know all about amps!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Mar 24, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    hey everyone, i'm gunna sound like a loser sayin this but...i know nothing about bass really...i mean i own a Peavey Foundation and a SX BG-205 and a Peavey Minx110 35w amp! but i dont know nothing really...like i know how to play but i dont know nothing about my amp or anything! I want to buy a stack...but i dont know what i'm looking for...like i would like a 2x10 and a 1x15 but i dk what the reall diff is...i need to know everything...like what is a tube amp? and i dont know if this is the right forum...but like what are compressors/ expandors, di boxes...everything....i dont really know what anything is...just give me a name of something and then tell me what it does....i'm in a band....and i just play what i got...(were a low quality cover band) and i just wanna upgrade!!! i have around 400 or so to spend...and the only thing for that i've found is Behringer Ultrabass gear!!! please help me in any way possible!!

Thanks!!!

Dustin

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey man, you sound like you're off to a pretty good start and you've found the right place to answer all of your questions.

First off,

DON'T PANIC

Take a few deep breathes.

Maybe chant a little.

Whatever floats your boat really.

Ok

What you're gonna want to do first is take everything that you have questions about....like tube amps. Go to the search funtion(it's up and to the right) and go in there and type in tube amp. You may be best if you type it change your path to specify the amps forum.

With just doing that, you'll be able to find answers to a lot of your questions. If you bring up somethng that has been talked to death, odds are people will tell you just to search for it...so that will save you some effort.

You say you have $400 to spend.. theres a good thread here on the first page in amps that tells of a lot of good deals for under $500. I also suggest looking through online sites and finding gear that fits your price range and then searching for info on it here. I've done that hundreds of times.

You can learn lots of stuff hear, but do yourself a favor and search for the answers...then if you can't find them, ask away and people are sure to help ya out

:D

3. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    oh yeah..... I didn't really even touch your actual question.

More info will be helpful.

What music do yuo play?

Where do you play it? (clubs, home, garage, school, massive outdoor festivals full of hippies, retirement homes, etc)

do you live near any good music stores? I personally don't and it sucks, so if you have the ability to try out stuff, do so. That is far more important than what anyone on here can say.

I currently play throuhg a 2x10 and a 1x15. I'm not at all happy with my sound, but I'm not sure which aspect of my rig/bass it is mainly from, so I'm selling a tuba and plan on overhauling my whole set-up.

hope this helps

if it doesn't......well, ya can't blame a guy for tryin'

4. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

You've definately got a lot of reading to do...

You'll spend the better part of a day reading the schroeder and essex threads alone

and i've posted more on this thread than I usually post in a month....someone please stop me...

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can also go to the sticky at the top of the forum that contains links to several threads covering a broad range of subjects. hours of entertainment. :D

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    SnoBassMan;

Stop now!!! Not another word!!!