1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Livewire, May 1, 2010.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is it true that certain pickups won't work for a passive bass and will only work for active basses? I want to drop these Delano pickups (DELANO JMVC 4 FE/M2 Split Coil Humbucker) located here (4th one down): http://www.bestbassgear.com/delano-4-string-pickups.htm#delanojmvc4fem2 and I was wondering if I could do it to my passive jazz bass or will I need a preamp. And if it is true that certain pickups need a preamp to function, how can I tell which ones are those?

Thanks
    Joe

2. It is possible to have a pickup with such a weak output that a gain boosting preamp is desirable, but there is no electronic reason that a pickup could only be used in an active or passive configuration.

The only variables are output voltage and output impedance.

With a preamp, the preamp doesn't care about the pickup's impedance.
    Going passive, a higher impedance from the pickups may cause you to lose some high end due to cable capacitance, but that's typical of most all passive pickups.

As far as output level goes, Delanos should have a fairly hot output. A gain boosting preamp shouldn't be necessary.