newb question about difficulties of bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by crofbe, Nov 5, 2005.

1. crofbe

Aug 6, 2005
    I'm new to the bass (playing basic chord patterns and sounding like crap in general), and coming off classical piano experience, so I'm wondering what are the difficult aspects of playing the bass - is it the finger technique and dexterity, being able to play in line with drums and the rest of the band (the two obvious things I've encountered so far)?

The theory itself isn't too difficult (as you can imagine it's not hard to play bass lines on a piano), and the EADG tuning is really nice. Also, does anybody have similar experiences playing the bass after piano?
  2. It's the things you mentioned, and also muting, and making your lines groove.
  3. Nevermoore

Nov 6, 2005
    I've also just started playing bass and after playing the piano. I find the bass to be pretty frustrating at times, when I can sit down at the piano and easily play the same lines with relatively no thought. Muting is definitely a foreign concept to me as well as playing "dead notes". What drove me nuts for the first couple of weeks was the lack of a clean sound (lots of buzz from the frets) but that has pretty much gone away thanks to my new calluses. I also have to continuously tell myself to slow down (speed will come in time, just like it did on the piano). It's definitely helpful knowing some theory already.
  4. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Groovy vibratos are pretty challenging IMO...