1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb Question: Adjusting to preamp on Tribby L2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by deathofbalance, Mar 16, 2008.

1. deathofbalance

deathofbalance

Jul 11, 2006
    I have a Tribute L2500 on the way. It will be my first active bass, after a P-bass knockoff and a cheapo passive PJ set up Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone. I was told that the preamp on the L2500 is cut only. What is the proper way to try to find the tone I want, start with them cut fully down or up? And how does going active affect it?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  3. deathofbalance

deathofbalance

Jul 11, 2006
    I got a chance to play with one in person today, though mine is still shipping. Found that I liked it with the bridge pickup soloed in Series mode with the Active EQ on with treble boost. I ended up leaving both bands of the EQ all the way up, is there any reason why I shouldn't?

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

No reason not to- there are several G&L players that play with the tone controls maxed. It means alot less circuitry gumming up your signal :smug: You could think about it as getting the most "pure" tone from the bass and then EQ using your amp instead. The "treble cut" on the bass is just a passive tone control as you would find on most passive basses. The "bass cut" is also passive, but unlike anything I've ever seen on another bass- basically functions opposite of a passive tone control. I often turn the bass knob all the way up (which basically pulls it out of the circuit), but usually roll the treble back about 25-50% (the treble cut pot isn't pulled out of the circuit when its all the way up, but the effects aren't likely all that noticeable).

Karl

5. That's what I do, and nothing's broken yet except a few windows. Oh, and the roof sort of flaps up and down now on windy days.