Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newb question: anything giggable for under $400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllegroNonMolto, Jun 26, 2004.

1. AllegroNonMolto

AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    I am looking to buy an amp that will hold up in rehearsals and for small bar gigs. I currently have a crappy Crate 60 watt 15" and it is just a tad too quiet for rehearsal with my current band. However my budget is unfortunately limited to about $400 but preferable more around $300.

I don't really know much about bass amps as I just switched over to bass. I am currently playing with a Fender V MIM standard jazz.

I was looking at these 3 amps:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7.../g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480675/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7.../g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482583/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7.../g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/487803/

Can anyone recommend something better? More bang for my buck?

2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    With the money you're trying to spend, you really need to be searching ebay and the for sale forum for used gear, not musiciansfriend. I recommend a SWR Workingmans 15 combo. That will give you 160W through a 15" speaker + horn. Then, when you have a few more bucks saved up, add a 210 extension cab. That will give you another 40W + the extra speaker surface space. You'll still not be able to compete with loud guitars, but I think that's the best you can do for your budget.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Used is definatly your best bet, I got my rig for $450 used from a music store. Try your local music stores, pawn shops, even flea markets. But make sure you play it before you buy it if its from a flea market or something.

4. Check the classifieds for a used Peavey. I got a Peavey Databass combo (450 watts, 15" Black Widow) for $225. Sure, it's not a SVT, but its perfect for bar gigs where I want to get in and out fast.

5. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    the peavey databass is amazing. i use one for my hardcore band. i have no trouble being heard with two LOUD guitarists. they only weigh about 70lbs too and its only about 17" wide, so its ultra portable. put a sansamp bddi in front of it and you do get an svt sound (what i do)... and you're still under your $400 limit.

6. What on earth would you want to do that for? The "poweramp in" jack is NOT the place to plug in another power amp, it's a line-level input jack to the Crate's power amp. You would plug a preamp in here, for example, or maybe the return from your effects loop.

If you plug the speaker output from another head into the "poweramp in", you're going to fry the Crate's power amp. If you plug the preamp out from the new head into this jack, you'll use the preamp from the head, and the power amp of the Crate. You'd still only have 60 watts output.

7. Workingman 15 With out a doubt

I gigged with one for over 2 years (still do time to time)

and it's never failed me!

8. I have old Peaveys and you are slightly incorrect. Yes, this is for power to come in...line-level power, around 1 volt. Peavey builds their stuff strong so you may have gotten away with plugging a speaker-level out into the poweramp in. (also, this is probably around 40K impedance)

You cannot plug a 600 watt head into any "poweramp in" jack and expect to get 600 watts out of the second head on a Peavey combo.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I apoligize, for I am incorrect. It was something I was told along time ago by a friend and I took it as qospel. I have only owned this one combo ever. I bought iy used and never had a manual for it.Yes, I have done it before like I said. It was a very small amp and must not have had enough power to hurt it. My ignorance or stupity, whichever the case may be. Sorry. :( I deleted my earlier post as to not possibly give someone else bad info. Thank you for educating me.

10. if i may suggest the ampeg ba115 combo.. if you can find one in your budget it blows the working man 15 combo away..

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I would go on E-Bay and check out some used Gallien Krueger gear. You could probable get a GK 400 rb amp for around $200.00 and a 2x10 cab for about $200.00. Also Check out Avatar cabs there cheap and sound great.
    ;)

12. Think USED PEAVEY all the way. The older mark III or mark IV heads can be had very cheap and will provide you with a good usable signal in a band situation.

I'm not so sure about a cab but I bet you can find an old reliable Peavey cab for about $200 or less.

To me Peavey is the undisputed king of solid reliable inexpensive used gear.

13. I was tired last night and probably came across as a little bit of a jerk, sorry. I'll edit my earlier post a little....