newb question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Dec 13, 2005.

1. what exactly is the purpose of compression on an amp/for bass guitar anyway?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    in general compression, if done right, takes the softer sounds of your playing and your louder sounds and brings them closer to each others volumes. this can be good in some situations where your technique might not be refined to the point of being heard as well as you'd like on each passage of music. for me compression helped even out the volume difference between my index and middle finger on fast alternating plucking. when I had a different amp it helped my bass sound fit into a certain volume range that worked well with the band.

In general compression is not always necessary, but if you play alot you'll find ways to make it work for your sound. I also use it to squeeze my signal into a narrower volume range before I send it to the mixer. thats easier on the PA.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    There is a pretty nice article from the good people at Alesis that explains compression pretty concisely.

Read it here!

There are some suggested settings in the follow-up article. You can get to it from the left toolbar on the page I linked to.