1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb replacing pickups- Help needed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist4dalord, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Hello all. I am expecting a set of MIM Fender Jazz V pickups on Thursday or Friday, for installment in my Squier Standard Precision Bass V (yes, it's the 5-string Precision Bass with single coils).

I have never worked on any type of guitar electronics. I haven't so much as removed a pickguard before. Any and all help would be appreciated! I've been watching YouTube vids, and of course Googling, but I thought I'd stop in here and get some assistance.

For some info: the pickups coming out are factory Jazz pickups. They are passive, V/V/T, and are coming out because they don't have coils under the B-string (Squier's idea of a money-saving measure?) The pickups going in are Fender MIM Standard (passive) Jazz V pickups, again wired V/V/T.

Thanks!!!

2. Bump!

3. What specifically did you need help with?

4. Well, how do you install and remove pickups? Is it as simple as a soldering iron?

5. Pretty much.

You'll need a screwdriver as well.:hyper:

6. Ok. Any other help available guys?

7. Just discovered the pickups in the bass are actually 4-string pickups in 4-string housings, not 5-string housings. This means I'll have to route the body and pickguard. NOT happy.

8. Bump?

9. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I can't find this bass. Do you have a picture or link to it?

Does it have exposed magnets in the pickups (new and old)?

10. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    OK, found it. It looks like it has been discontinued.

Why do you think the original pickups are 4 string?

The Fender Jazz Bass pickups you got are for a Fender Jazz Bass and are longer than the Squier's. They have two magnets per string and the strings run between the poles. The Squier pickups are probably blade style where two parallel magnetic blades run perpendicularly to the strings which eliminates the need to line up the strings (or worry about how many there are).

Let's backtrack: what was wrong with the sound in the first place?

11. Ah ok thanks very much. The bass sounds great; the B-string is nearly dead quiet compared to the others. Changing strings to a fresh set of D'Addario XL Nickels did nothing for it's livelihood.

The pickups don't have a coil under the B-string, IIRC. And the pickups are indeed closed-covers.

12. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Sorry, I'm a little slow on this.

How do you know there is no magnet under the B string? Do the covers come off so you can see the magnets?

Also, what are you playing through? I ask since the low B is 31Hz and most cabs are down a few decibels there. If you play an E on the B string and open E are they at different volumes?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021