Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newb Rig - Need: Opinions, Critique, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aarono, Feb 14, 2006.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Hey guys, can you tell me what you think about this bass rig set up. I'm not the greatest at configuring the wattage, ohms, etc. So can you guys tell me if it will make a good beginning set up/provide your own recommendations if it's cheaper. I need it to last me a few years, and perhaps I'll continue playing bass or sell it and try to make some money back. This is the last I"ll be able to buy for atleast a few years.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=480223

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Power/Amps?sku=481564 (This one's a bit expensive, but I hear it's best to buy a strong/good poweramp and worry about upgrading the rest later)

And for the Cab:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ (Delta b212)

2. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Certaintly an expert around here can give me some advice. Also, I'm not in a band, so I'm thinking I should skip the "combo" set-up and just get a head. Any recommendations for a head in the $400-$550 range and offers good performance/lot of options.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I ain't no expert, but by the looks of your choices it should be pretty good!

and last you a good number of years as long as you know how to control your volume. I'm not suggesting changing anything, but just keep a level head when using it.

4. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You won't need much XLR length. You may eventually upgrade to a stand alone rack though, and if you ever do you may want to have it on the side of the stage with the cab in the middle, so you may want to get a medium length speaker cable.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  7. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've been debating the same pre / amp setup, but I'm planning to go with the 850. The only question I have for you is whether you need all of that power. I currently play with a VERY loud drummer and I don't usually get my Hartke HA4000 (400W) up past around 5. Just a thought, but I think that the 850 is a TON of power for the price.

8. Looks good to me. If I were to change anything, I'd probably try a different cab. Since I see you are checking out MF, check out the Aguilar S-series cabs. They are on a huge blowout thing right now.

9. Very good choices.That Avatar cabinet with the preamp and amp you picked would work for a pro,not just a beginner.The Aguilar S410 would probably be a better choice if you are ready to buy the rig before the sale is done.A short 1/4" shielded cable between your preamp and poweramp and a short speakon speaker cable is all you need,you don't need an XLR.

10. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Baby's in my living room, it's a damn fine rig if you ask me :). Old thread, but never got back to updating you guys. I bought the wrong type of 1/4" cable. Only has one black strip, not two which I guess means it's unbalanced.