Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newb? swr wm10 farting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdean, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jdean

jdean

Nov 4, 2005
    sf bay
    Hi All,
    This is my first post, I've been a lurker for about a week. I just started playing bass & guitar for my church.

I hope someone can chime in here:

The swr wm10 that we have is distorting (more like a fart, at low notes) at vol. setting 12:00 and above, with the bass/mid/treb at 3:00/12/12 (aural @12:00). My bass has active pup and have the preamp at flat. I'm finding myself rolling back the bass on the eq, just to get the volume up past 12:00.

I've replace the 9v on the bass. Changed strings and setup.

I thought it might be a bad speaker/coils, so I checked by gently pushing down on the cone.

I was also thinking of getting an extra cab to get more vol.

Is this normal for this amp/combo? Any swr wm10 users out there with the same experience? Any advice?

I'm now also looking to upgrade to a head/cab combo, but I want to be able to use the wm10 for practice sessions.

Thanks!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    farting or crackling? high volumes or low also?

if at low volumes too and crackling, maybe you are overloading the input with too much voltage?

if farting and only at high volumes turn your bass control down (less bass) and connect another cab. (i.e. you are requesting more bass than it can handle)

if farting at low volumes, your amp electronics may be blown.

I had a wm10with an extension 10, loved it at the time, never ran an active through it though...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The problem is you're asking that little guy for too much volume, particularly at the low end. A WM-10 is a practice amp. It is woefully underpowered for gigging. When you crank up the bass to 3-o'clock, you're adding gain in the frequency range most likely to create distortion in a small amp. Bottom line, you just don't have enough amp to meet your needs.

Seriously, you need at least 300 watts and a cabinet that can handle it. In all candor, you should give yourself some headroom, too, and 500 watts is the minimum suitable power for gigging (actually 600, but I'm cutting you some slack).

If you're wise, you will ignore those naysayers who are sure to sally forth and dispute my assessment. I am the acknowledged arbiter of these matters here at the TB, and the others are just pantywaists and wannabes.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Add a 1x15 to your rig and you should be fine.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :D

Regards

Steve Munji-wanna-be-a-bunga Clark

6. He's almost getting by on the wee thing tho, so maybe he doesnt need that much

Altho, i will be the first person to jump onto the get more gear train, seeing i have a pretty fking big bedroom practice setup :D

and you dont need more than 300 watts for gigging, unless your talking about SS of course, pffft ;)

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have the same amp, though it is my secondary rig. Munji is correct, this amp is not suitable for gigs (except very quiet stuff). Even with the extension wm10 it can't cut it with a drummer. It's not that it's a bad amp, but it is, in fact, a practice amp. Even if you add something like a wm 2x10 it will probably disappoint because the amp is not powerful enough. Upgrading to a gig-worthy setup is your best bet. :eyebrow:

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Send out an extra collection cup for a new rig.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, that and an Eden Metro.

10. jdean

jdean

Nov 4, 2005
    sf bay
    It only occurs at high volumes. Eventhough I have thought about an ext. cab 1x15. I think an upgrade is in order at this time: least 300w head w/ 2x10 4omhs cab.

Thanks all. This has confirmed that the wm10 is under power and I won't try adding cab or fixing the unit.

Our keyboard player with a 300w old school peavey with 15" and horn. With 6 on the master volume he's drowning everyone.

11. Look into a peavey half stack second hand, can be had very cheap and is great build quality and pretty damned good sounding :)

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Wisdom rules.

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Jdean, the other guys have great ideas, if you have the money to upgrade, ya a nice 300w+ head and a 15" or 410 would be great,

BUT if your just practicing in the basement with friends for now and are "ALMOST" getting the volume you need, TRY A SECOND CABINET, maybe a 15 or 210.

either borrow one from a friend, a bass cab, or find a store that will let you try one at home. a good store will, unless they don't trust you.

THEN if that isn't enough, consider a going with a head and cab. I've got a Eden wt300 with two aguilar gs112s and fits my needs, but might be lacking in a bar or high power death metal band.... :D

14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I hate to admit it but Munji is actually right...this time.... :D

Funkengrooven the eternal smart-a$$

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Trade amps with the keyboard player.

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ha ha good one... :p actually, not haha, makes great sense. but will make the keyboard player frustrated.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Wrong.

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Wrong? oh, yes, now after rereading his posts I see he is playing at his church with it. so, under that circumstance I'd agree with shooting higher in equipment than if he was "just starting out" at home or with friends.

or even better keep the 10 for home (or is it the church's?) and ask the church to get a bigger bass rig that other players can use too!

If they have PA, just realise that its just a personal monitor and WILL NOT fill the room or stage.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I pretty much gotta agree with this.