1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb to Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubn, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Dubn

Dubn

Jul 2, 2012
    Ok, not a complete newb, but i am new to these forums and relativly new to bass. I have played before but not quite as seriously as i am starting now.

That being said, i am very sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have a few questions: recently i picked a Squire Jaguar VM. so far i love it, been a ton of fun picking back up a bass and starting to play again. But id like to add some things to make it a bit more "mine" if that makes sense. So far i grabbed a bridge cover but thats it.
    [​IMG]

Curious if there are any suggestions on new Pick-ups, just hardware in general.

I would love to pick a new neck, the original one is nice but id like something that just look a bit better and very open to suggestions on the neck and pick up. Like i said im new and am very unsure of brands, sizes, Specs.

Any suggestions on anything would be highly appreciated. I am used to Car forums so i am expecting a bit of hate:bag:

Thanks guys!

2. Those Squier VMs are great instruments. Personally, I love the neck on them, I would just get it set up to preference. As for upgrades, maybe a BA bridge and shielding the control cavity?

If you're just picking a bass back up, you should leave it as is until you know what you really want to change. IMO, of course.

3. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    First, welcome back to the low end!

Honestly, these VM Squiers are pretty nice. It's easy to get caught up in seeing a lot of mods being done to these here on TB and get the bug to do it, but I will make the recommendation of unless you're aiming for a certain goal, if it doesn't NEED to be changed, then why do it? If you're unhappy with how the pickups sound, then yes, replace them. But as far as the neck is concerned, if it feels nice and is straight and all of that, I don't know that I'd spend the $$ to replace it if you just don't like how it looks. Is it that you don't like how the rosewood looks, or just too plain, or what? You could always get some of the block inlay stickers and put those on. I have some on my Classic Vibe Jazz Bass, and I think they look great, and they're only $15 rather than spending a couple hundred on a new neck. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is if you're going to start doing some modding to it, I'd try to have a pretty clear goal of what you want to accomplish, what sort of tone you want, what's wrong with the looks that you want to change before you do. FWIW, I think that's a great looking bass, and I'd gladly play that any day.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1, leave it for now.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/all-basic-setup-questions-answered-here-125382/

will give you info on setup, you might just have high action.
    Try a few different strings, watch youtube for ballpark tones...

Oh and it's 90% practice, as you know.
    Check out the instruction side of TB. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

>>>EDIT: Reread the OP, Cosmetically the bass is fine, go crazy with tape or stickers if you want, enjoy & explore the tone it can already produce!
    P.S. I'm a few months into my bass & GAS journey... I've a 110W combo but am upgrading to a 115 cab & micro head shortly. The combo pictured is fine for practice, but it won't sound 'bassy' in the trad sense. Try playing through a bigger rig before swapping out pickups. Save for a huge sound improvement.

P.S. nice bass.

5. Dubn

Dubn

Jul 2, 2012
    Ah thanks, it is mostly just very very plain, but i can grab the inlays that will help a ton. I just dont know anything about pick ups yet and was unsure if people really suggested an aftermarket brand. I will leave it as is for now, though i am putting the bridge cover and pickup covers on, i love the look of those together. I can say this, the Sound of this Squire blows my old ibanez out of the water. Love this sound, though it is a bit more jazzy sounding than i like.

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Cool, try playing with where you pluck the strings... if you solo the neck pup, and play over the bottom of the neck you can get some tubby P like tones... also try a muting trick, like foam or your hands.:bassist:

7. Dubn

Dubn

Jul 2, 2012
    Will do, thanks for the tips really appreciate it. any tips/tricks from anyone are more than welcome. I can say so far i am really liking using a pick. Though im pretty ok with my fingers.

8. I've been a fingerstyle player since I started playing bass, and just got into using a pick. Don't feel like it is an inferior way of playing, do what suits you!

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    This kind of flexibility and willingness to experiment has been (IMO rightly) described as being as important as listening to other musicians. Try stuff out, and play bass in a relaxed, engaged way. It makes it a lot easier if you do it a little often, and take a break if you start getting discomfort or stress.:cool:

Oh and WARM UP! :bassist:
    You'll feel less worn out and sore if you stretch a little before & after practising.

If it hurts, you're doing something wrong, and potentially dangerous.:eek: