newb with a newb question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ShadowFire, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ShadowFire

Jul 31, 2002
    Ok i just very recently started learning to play..... i dont have the money for lessons, so i bought a book and Im teaching myself. Well to pluck the strings it said after you play a string, let the finger rest on the next string (i think its called a hammerstroke??) neways..... dandy...... but when i try to speed up a bit i notice that the string im resting my finger on will vibrate form hitting it and taking my finger off so quickly.......... now my question is, is this normal, or do i need to correct my technique? And if it needs correcting any tips on how to correct it?
  2. RiCKdoesntTrip

Aug 16, 2002
    hmm that sounds strange. its called a rest stroke by the way. hmmm. i dont get that sound when i long haveyou been playing? because if you are real new to bass playing, you shouldnt worry about speed justyet, you should work on taking it slow and makin your notes the even in volume and duration. speed will come later.

also, when doing the rest stroke, are u plucking the string, hitting the string below it , and moving it right away? that may be causing the sound. when you do the rest stroke,there should always be a finger resting while the other finger is plucking, so one of your fingers will be on the string below the plucked string at all times. hope that helps.

3. J.S.

May 2, 2002
    You can try to mute the string with your thumb.

There are some bass players (including myself) who like to rest the thumb on the string next to the one you're plucking, ex when I play the A string, my thumb rest on the E string, and when playing the D string, my thumb rest on the A string and so on...

Hope this might solve your problem.
  4. RiCKdoesntTrip

Aug 16, 2002
    o yeah i forgot about that. it sometimes calld the floating thumb technique. i use that technique also.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't play by the rules. I do most of my muting with my left hand.
  6. speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    I use a similar right hand technique as J.S. and Rick. Adam Nitti has a pretty good page that describes Floating Thumb Technique in more detail.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It's possible you're digging in too hard (plucking with far more force than necessary) and maybe striking the string behind more than using it as a rest stop. As RiCKdoesntTrip said, there should be a finger resting on the string behind the one you've just played at all times (usually, anyways), so it shouldn't have a chance to move.

BTW, I've heard it be called a hammerstroke as well.
  8. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    ditto to what J.S. said.