1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Divinations, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Divinations

Divinations

Apr 1, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hey guys, I've used this site a lot in the past for all kinds of advice but just joined up, Im quite new to bass, but have been lucky to end up in a band with some awesome musicians.

My question is around amps. I currently use a Galien Krueger 700RB into a GK 2x10 200w and a GK 1x12 400w.

This is an awesome amp, my only trouble is our drummer is LOUD. Real loud.

Im looking for some more volume, when I was sold this amp I was told it was 700w, turns out its 480 (I think). What should I do? upgrade my head, or my cabs?

If Im going to upgrade my head I have been looking at these 2
    http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/bass/gk-mb800-ultra-light-head.html
    http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/bass...0-watts-at-4-ohms-or-600-watts-at-8-ohms.html

I can also get my hands on a used SVT-4 Pro for a pretty good price but thats a similar wattage to what I have now.

What do you guys think? I understand about hooking up bass cabs, ohms etc, but I get a bit confused when hooking up more than 1 and its frustrating!

If I go with the higher power heads, Im guessing my current cabs wont be up to the task, what do you suggest I go for configuration/watts/ohms wise?

Sorry its so long but thanks in advance for any help

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    A pair of the gk neo 212 cabs ought to do the trick. If it doesn't, they're just too damn loud.

3. Divinations

Divinations

Apr 1, 2013
    New Zealand
    That woud give me a decent kick in the volume department?

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Well, what you have now won't handle much more anyway, and if you need more power, you need cabs that can handle it. It should be a pretty noticeable difference.

5. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Why not another identical 12? You have plenty of power.

6. The 12" may not put out as much volume as the 210. Doubling a single 12" cab will not gain anything over what is already there. Get a 212 or two that will be a notable output increase. That should be about the loudest 480 watts you'll find from an amp head. The 700RB II is a darn fine amp head.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed, you need more speakers. A pair of 8 ohm 2x12's would sound massive with that amp.

8. +1 to upgrading the cabs

Personally I think pairing that amp with a very efficient 215, or pair of 115's is the way to go.

A 215 loaded with Eminence 3015's, in a properly designed cab, will be more efficient than an 810, and about 1/3 of the weight.

9. Divinations

Divinations

Apr 1, 2013
    New Zealand
    thank you all for the advice, I went and checked out some prices on GK cabs (really would like to keep it the same if poss) and 2x12s and 2x15s were quite hard to come by in New Zealand, the 2x12 was pretty dear, about ($1200usd ) but they did have a 4x10 there for $600, what do you guys think about getting that and using either my 12 or 2x10? or will it not really be worth it? The head seems to have plenty of balls actually, I can't really get it quarter volume before it starts getting a bit farty ha ha, my only complaint with the head is that its a bit noisy, it's got a clear hiss to it, not from too much treble or presence either but if I boost those it does get worse.

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated

10. The 410 would be a good move. Try it with the 12" cab and see if they play well together. With a 410 you most likely won't need the weak 210 or the 12" for that matter.
    The hiss is most likely failing opamp IC's. The opamps are cheap to buy but the preamp board has to be removed to replace them (get a tech to do this).

11. Divinations

Divinations

Apr 1, 2013
    New Zealand
    I bought the 4x10 today, its great, got a tech looking at the head too, thanks!