1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NewBassDay! Warwick Corvette $$ 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Apr 22, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    WarwickCorvette5001.
    WarwickCorvette5002.
    WarwickCorvette5003.
    WarwickCorvette5004.

The neck is absolutely PERFECT!

After I unpacked the bass, and grabbed the neck.....I knew I was in love!

Got it home and did a setup. Jammed on it. Sounds pretty darn good too!

2. jpfbass

jpfbass

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Congrats!! I love double bucks- you can get so many tones out of it, its like 5 basses in one. I also like the corvette shape and neck, everything feels super smooth. Good choice!

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    No kidding!

I'm typically into more traditional looking basses.....my main bass is a SR5. :oops:
    So the looks kinda bothered me, until I saw it in person.
    To me, the bass is really comfortable and ergo correct.

When dialed in like a Stingray, it actually sounded pretty close!

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    congrats bro! those are some great basses. i enjoy a warwick neck as well.

5. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    Ah yes warwick makes amazing basses. I have a rockbass and feels and sounds great. When I start making serious money I will definitely upgrade to a real warwick.

6. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Nice!So has this the new C shaped Warwick neck?My '97 'Wick has the older baseball bat profile...

7. Tons of tones! If you end up like me, so many options left me hunting the right sound for months.

Yet I've finally got my $$5 dialed to sound pretty close to my Thumb BO 4...so it's become my go to bass, when I wasn't sure it it would make it at first.

Single coil, panned all the way to the rear, bass 3/4 boost, treble flat. It's super thick while still retaining it's bite. Once I found 'my' settings and brought it in for rehearsal, even my bandmates made unsolicited comments about how good it was sounding.

...plus they just look good. :)

l_b6a3358c5eba41b5852e9eddacec25bd.

Grats and enjoy!

8. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    To me, it feels like a D shape?

I'm not even sure what year it is? I'll have to check tonight.

I know the bass is only a day old, but I really like this bass!!

9. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    What are the differences between the Thumb and the $$?

I welcome the options coming from a single H Stingray. :bassist:

Love the Stingray, but wanted at least to be able to cop a few other tones on stage (not that it always matters). I think it does a good Jazz, Stingray, and P tones....plus a few others.

I haven't tried it with the band yet.....got a gig tomorrow night.
    I think I'll just gig it right away. :D
    If anything I'll revert to Stingray settings if I ain't feeling it.

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Congrats! I love 'Wicks.

11. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I think I've read every thread I could find about them here.

The impression I got was that Warwicks were really all that loved here.
    That the new ones aren't like the old ones??
    They're overpriced?

I never buy anything new, but I would say the $$ is a very high quality bass worth every penny. The construction and the thought that went into the details is top notch.

An adjustable nut! you've got to be kidding me!!

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    People say that about absolutely EVERYTHING.

Remember that they are made in Germany by a German company, so they are more expensive in the US than they are in Europe (you didn't say where you were, so I'm just assuming America). Over here, we get the same thing with Fenders, Musicman, Rickenbacker, any of the American made basses/amps/FX/etc...

13. For sound? The $$ is super versatile and can emulate lot's of other basses while the Thumb is always going to sound like a Thumb...and nothing else sounds like it. :D Thumbs just have a more organic sound with heaps of articulation and slightly more growl than the $$.

Originally my only real complaint about the $$ was that is was too woofy/boomy and I couldn't get any real definition from my notes when playing higher up the neck...boosting the low eq was completely out of the question. Granted, it would sound great when playing solo, but was just obnoxious as hell when rehearsing. Yet once I found the sound I was looking for...I haven't changed it.

For playability...the 'Vette is a far more comfortable bass to play. It likes to sit in a position that's more natural or more like most basses, where the Thumb will sit to where it feels offset toward your plucking/picking hand and the neck horizontal with the floor. You kind of have to wear the Thumb high to keep from battling to play it.

That said...I'm not sure I'm satisfied with 2 'wicks. I want more! :eek:

Anyways...good luck with the gig this weekend!

14. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Cool! I too am sold on Warwicks!

Do you use the passive/active switch much?

From what I can tell so far.....they don't sound all that much different when the EQ is flat?

15. ive own and owned plenty of wicks and the $$ 5 is my favorite.

it can go sweet to just plain nasty. and the b string is crazy :hyper:

16. I can barely hear a difference. I've rolled my volume up or down during songs a few times and hadn't realized that I'd pulled it to passive until a spot where it's mostly me.

:bag:

17. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Whats the weight like on it? Also, is it neck heavy like some thumbs tend to be.

18. I've not weighed it, and I'm sure sure what it's listed at...but the $$5 doesn't feel near as heavy as my Thumb 4.

And no, it's not like the Thumb. It balances more like a traditional bass, so you can wear it at a height you like and not have to fight to keep the neck in position.

19. Nice! nat's look so classy . . .

20. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Thanks, i was more interested in any neck dive issues then actual weight.