Newbe who needs help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Yrvinn, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Yrvinn

Apr 28, 2001

I am a newbe with the bass and i wonder if someone could help me out on something.

In a bass tab there are some numbers, and I wonder what they mean.

Please help me....

What does the numbers mean?

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    oh boy!

1 Hello Yrvin welcome to the board and bass!
    2 Your post will probably be moved to Technique, dont worry. This forum is for bass guitar (instruments).
    3 Some people round these parts dont like tab, dont worry.
    4 Now to answer your question.

The numbers mean the fret positions so your tab is in fact A string frets 2 5 4 (B D C#) and D string 2 (E). Right if thats too difficult read on. If not skip to the next paragraph. If you pluck an open string it gives a note corresponding to the tab lines ie E A D G. The bottom one E is the one nearest you ie the fatest one. Now get the fattest one E and put your finger just behind the nearest fret to the nut (white thing strings rest on) Thats 1 and an F move up one and thats 2 F#. So now knowing this read your tab and play it. I am not being condescending just thorough.

OK now for timing

As there are 4 notes then I assume thats the timing. Count 1234 slowly and evenly. Now play a note on each count.

Thats your tab.

Now some pointers. Some tabs have the black and white things underneath. I would suggest that you find some tabs like this and learn some rudimentry reading skills (crochets quavers etc) cos you will struggle on timing.

Talkbass survival tips

Flame starters

Tab if you want learn it BUT IMHO learn basic music as well.

Metronome-IMHO learn to play with and without.

My suggestions

Get music (tab and real) and some lessons books and learn. Get a couple of lessons off a local teacher. Play along with records (CD) and choose ALL styles not just your fave band. Join or form a band even if you start out with a guitarist only.

Most of all have fun

I do

You may get some comments about tab and stuff but keep coming back its good here.

PS You posted the same question on the Dan Glenn Forum. His first name is Dann not Glenn.

PPS This is personal opinion (except Dann Glenn's name of course) I could be right or wrong but I mean well. See you around.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    How could a post that long miss something?

On your tab use your forefinger for 2 and your little finger for 5 and your wedding ring finger (unless lefty) for 4. If there was a 3 tab use the longest one.

Got it?
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, a good place to get a quick rundown on tab is in the "Ask Jeff Berlin" thread down below. I'm sure he'd be glad to give you a few pointers.

HA! CS ... you thought YOU had the flame starters. LOL.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    :) how about fretless tabs ?

(dont take the last two posts seriously)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That was priceless!:D
  7. Spx

May 6, 2001

I am also a newbie & I would like to ask a complementary question.

I got the principle of the tab reading regarding the string and the number of the fret.
    But when I try to read normal partition I am lost on the neck of my bass & I never know which fret I do have to play.

Eg for a D there is many possibilities but when reading the partition you always read the same note.
    So How do I have to do to make sure I play the right note?
  8. correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think there's a way to tell. Notation comes out first again..:)
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I'm not a newbie, but can anybody tell me what "partition" means in this context and why? I have seen it mentioned a few times around here and to me it means, what you install, to divide up your house - i.e. a new wall, panels or screen!!
  10. Spx

May 6, 2001
    Ok Bruce

By partition I mean the following Jpeg.
    I may be not using the right word but it can be explained by the fact that I am not native english speaking.

Hope this will help you understand what I mean by partition. If you have the right word I d be glad to get it & if you can provide some help U re welcome
  11. Bruce Lindfield

12. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, when he says partition he's talking about standard notation. And more specifically how when you see a D written in standard notation it is usually in the same position and will have 8va.. above it if it should be an octave higher.

I'm not very good with standard notation so I'll let someone else explain it better as to where each octave of D corralates with which fret and such.
  13. How would that be a problem when reading tabs? Don't tabs tell you what string and which fret you should be playing? Sorry Spx, I suspect we're still not understanding what exactly you mean by 'partition'. And you talk about 'Jpeg' - where does that come into play?

What is your native language? We might be able to get someone here who can tell us what exactly you're question is.

(....later) Ok... I see from your profile that you are French. Post your question here in French, and we'll get Nathanael or Yvon, (or someone else who understands French) to pop in on this thread and see if they can help.

PS - I don't mean to lecture, but you really should try to learn to read 'standard notation'. It's really quite simple to learn the basics of music reading, which will give you more than you're getting from TAB anyway. If you learn where the notes are on the staff, you're already better off than relying on TAB. Just get a hold of a fretboard chart which will tell you where to find the notes on your bass.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, before I came on TalkBass, I had never heard the term or expression "Standard Notation" used at all!!

In doing music at school, Open University Music degree and Jazz classes, I had heard lots of terms, but not this phrase.

So most people just say "Music", or if they are talking about specific points to do with the system of notation, they would say : in "Musical Notation" the sign stands for .... etc. But usually people would say things like "Have you got the music for that tune" - they would never say "Have you got the standard notation for that tune"...and I would probably have thought them a bit strange if they did! ;)

When I have bought music, it is also referred to as "A Score", "Sheet Music", "Musical Score" and possibly "Lead Sheet" in Jazz.

As I say - partition would be a screen or wall to me!
  15. Bruce,

Keen observation. I have never used that term either, until I wrote that. Then again, maybe I do, without so much as an afterthought. In retrospect, I hear the term everyday from kids (and parents) where I teach, and it got to the point that I got tired of correcting them. Now they have me saying it :eek:

I have seen the term used here often. When you think about it, TAB users probably consider reading TAB's as one method of reading music. "Standard notation" was likely born from the need to distinguish the different ways that people come up with to 'write' music from the 'standard' method;)

Repeat after me:

These are the 'music lines'.
    This is the 'bass squiggly thingy' (as opposed to the 'treble squiggly thingy')
    And these dots with the sticks are the 'lollipops'.