Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbee question. Will this bass be ok for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tattooedlife, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Tattooedlife

Tattooedlife

Jan 31, 2005
    I,ve bought a Fender Standard Precision Bass off a friend of mine I,m suppose to get it this weekend. Its just a few months old. It has the Badass II bridge like on the Geddy Lee model and two Quarter Pounder Seymore Duncan PickUps. Will this bass be ok as sorta of a starter bass. I started out on bass about 15 years ago, but switched over to guitar about 2 years later. So I'm not new to playing just new to the bass. Just looking for something to play around on, maybe do some recording with bass and guitar on it just for kicks.

2. yeah fender makes a good bass.you should be well offwith it. Unless you cant stand the big neck.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most of us who have been playing for years would have loved to have a Fender P bass for a starter. A lot of bad basses were around in the sixties and seventies. My guitarist has a St. George that has strings so high that you can drive a hotwheel on the neck without touching them.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hell, I'd say that's pretty dang nice for a starter bass. The Badass II is a pretty common upgrade, as are the Quarter Pounder pickups. Should sound fairly nice, eh?

5. Tattooedlife

Tattooedlife

Jan 31, 2005
    I hope I get in to bass as much as I did the guitar. Spend alot of time playing guitar ,nothing more than garage bands, but had some damn good times. Whats some good songs to jam to? Listen to mostly rock and heavy metal. Like to learn a few songs that realy stand out, any suggestions?

6. that would be an awesome starter bass, way better than what I had. The first week I started playing I learned money by pink floyd, took me a while to get it down totally, but its a cool song to come up with stuff during the solo sections.

7. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Just remember that the music is more on you than it is the instrument!!!!!!

Having said that, if you played around with it, and the sound is good for you, then you got a good instrument.

Hey, I started on a Yamaha RBX 250. But I still had to learn how to play. Peace.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I started on a Yamaha RBX 300. [​IMG]
    How does this compare to the 250?

9. Me, I cringe at the words "starter bass" Unless you're really not sure you want to play the instrument, you should always get what you can afford. Saves money bigtime in the long run as you won't be continually taking a hit selling "starter basses" in order to fund the "next up" purchase.

18 years ago a wise friend told me to buy as much bass as I could afford. A starving student, I scraped up 550 dollars or so and bought a Fender Power Jazz Special (the most expensive bass at Dave's Music in Springfield, MO at the time, LOL).

The end of the story...still have it, still gig with it, and it still rocks. I'm only now starting to add to the stable.

So my advice is to play it, enjoy it, and fall in love with it.

Just my opinion FWIW.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Is that, perhaps, due to talkbass? :p ;)

Ray

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Hell A Starter BASS? That should take you through starter, intermediate and on to Alpine Valley, WI :hyper: . Check out the thread on "My first Bass". You will find that quite a few of us started on $75 used basses, that by our standards now only brings a tear of joy to our eyes that we have moved on!! The P-bass is a great bass to start with!

12. You have a great point there! :p

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The most important thing with any new bass is to make sure it's well set up. My first bass was very poorly set up when I got it, and I developed some bad habits that took a long time to break. I'd never played bass before, so I didn't know any better.