Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie about to buy..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DannyB, Jan 4, 2005.

1. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    So I've been learning bass with a cheapo 30 watt combo for a while. I am about to start playing with a worship band (rock/contemporary styles) and need something that can fill a room.

Our room is an old converted theatre that seats probably around 200 people or so.

I am basically looking for a single cabinet and head and have been thinking a 1x15 would do the job with a good head. I use my B string a good bit and want to make sure I get the good rumble out of it, but also want something that will make the highs sound good as well. I don't care so much if it's used or new, as long as it has good tone and is reliable.

My budget's probably only about $500 or so (which seriously limits me, but stuff happens) and I basically don't know much about amps. Silly me, spent too much time learning to play the actual bass :rolleyes:

Any advice anyone can give would be helpful.. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to go shop (I'll need something in my hands in the next week or two) and would appreciate some input. I know anything will knock my socks off after playing a cheap 30w combo for a couple months, so I want to be careful not to get screwed.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would seriously check out used. the tb classifieds are good, and bassgear isn't too bad either. If you're looking for a 1x15 that means you're probably looking at getting an 8 ohm cabinet so i would look at getting a head that can put out 200 watts into 8 ohms. I dont know if you're going to be able to swing a 1x15 that has a tweeter, but some have decent highs up to about 2K or so. Alternately you might find a 1x15 combo, but i'd get one that is at least 150 watts with just the internal 15".

3. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Good advice.. I want to avoid a combo though because I might want to add on a cabinet (2x10 or 4x10) later on once the post-holiday "where in the hell did all my cash go" hangover wears off.

4. A lot of good reviews on that Behringer head BX300T. Or the amazingly Mag 300 (I think that's what it's called) by Ashdown is a sure bet. The Behringer'll leave you basically enough to buy an Avatar 15 inch speaker or one of Dr Bass's 15 inch cabs.

If you went to spend a little more money, I'd go with the Mag 300 and the Avatar 2x12. The 2x12 (if legend goes right) will all you ever need. No upgrades further down the line, though your back from about 80 lbs of cab will not feel too good.

Hope things work out, man.

5. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I've been researching those Behringer heads, and I like the idea of having a new head with a warranty. But on the other hand I hear they aren't as powerful as they're cracked up to be.

As far as the Ashdown Mag 300, I've been trying to find stores around here that carry them.. And I can't find anywhere selling Avatar cabs either. (you might have been reading my mind).

The weight is no issue.. I'm a large man. I just want to find a place where I can get the stuff in my hands quickly. The nearest GC is about 90 miles away and I don't think they even carry Ashdown or Avatar.

Any thoughts?

6. A good combo to try would be either Yorkville xs400 or the xs400t. The xs400 is a single 15 combo unit which is great, the xs400t is a combo unit with 2x10's. The Yorkville co. has a "even if you break it" warranty and the combo's sound great. If you needed, they can have an extension added to either combo, and fill the room out a bit more. These new go for around $900 Cdn, and they are well worth it. I would check out this site for gear reviews or www.harmonycentral.com for some ideas on what others have to say about these, or any other head/cab/combo's out there. Remember, always try before you buy. And if the store won't let you turn it up, leave and find one that will. Good luck.

7. You might have to wing it on the head sight unseen. I believe www.zzounds.com carrys Ashdown ( if not, try www.music123.com or www.sweetwater.com ).

www.avatarspeakers.com for Avatar speakers.

www.drbasscabs.com for Dr Bass speakers.

I can't give any personal go on the Dr Bass, but I can with the Avatar. I bought their 2x10 Neo and I love it. Check www.bgra.net for reviews or this site's Gear Reviews section.

Trust me, the Ashdown and Avatar would most likely be a SOLID combination.

Oh yeah, www.basscentral.com and www.bassnw.com for some good used (one has a 220 watt, 2x10 Ampeg combo in your budget).

Oh yeah, if you want new stuff or don't find a good deal used, $500 is pushing it quite a bit. I managed to get a 10+ year old Peavey Mark VIII for $150 and a Avatar Neo 2x10 for $280-ish. That's a total of $430, which is an outstanding deal. It's gonna be tough to stay under $500.

8. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    yeah.. $500 was a bit optimistic. I'm cheap.

So if I were to go with, say the Ashdown Mag 300 and the Avatar 212, would there be a real difference if the Avatar were 4 or 8 ohms? If I plan to add on, I know I need to get the 8. But if I play it solo at 8 ohms how much will the output of the amp change?

Told ya I'm new at this.....

9. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    i just got my new amp yesterday :hyper: it's my first "pro" amp with a head and cab after playing with a particulraly useless combo for a while

i got the behringer bx3000t head (300w at 4ohms) and the hartke vx410 cab (400w at 8 ohms) so its only putting out 180. However i can only say ive been pretty impresed with what ive heard so far and when i cranked i to half it was so loud that everything ratlled and my chest fealt like it was about to explode. i live in australia and i couldnt get avatar so hartke was the only thing in my price range. but i can definetly recommend the behringer head its got awesome features (but its as heavy as an absolute mofo) and the hartkes great too if you wanna get sumthin gyou can try out

so overall the ehringer with either avatar or hartke 115 or maybe 410 would be a great option IMO

10. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I think that an ebay GK 400RB would be a great start. That'd leave about $300 for a cab and you can pick up a pretty good one for that. I'm obviously parital to Dr. Bass but Avatar has a really good rep as well. One thing that I really dig about Dr. Bass is that they're so dang small. You can see them online and look at the dimensions but, until you see one up close, you really can't have a full appreciation of just how tiny those things are.

Ok, I should probably log off. I feel like I'm sounding like a Dr. Bass advertising board.

11. For the beer-budget-brigade used Peavey heads from the 90's are a v good bet.
    I got a Mark 6 for under 200 on ebay. If I were looking today, I'd try find a mark 7 or a Firebass (700watts)
    You'll never think "naahh... I don't need that extra power" when you actually have the head. Really, you won't.
    How about an avatar 112? A good alrounder, you can beef it up with a 210 or 115 or 212 later if needed.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    theoretically, if the cabinet is exactly the same sensitivity etc, the 8 ohm cab will be just noticable quieter than the 4 ohm one. If you really feel you're going to add on, then get an 8 ohm cab.

ok, onto being cheap..........not that you have to spend over 500, but if you keep an open mind you're much less likley to regret a cheap purchase made now later. I think the gk 200rb suggestion is an excellent one as a $ saver. My advice, if you have to skimp on something, do it on the head and get the best cabinet you can afford. Also, used heads are cheap to ship. you can find an swr 350 (for example) for 300-400 bucks and pay 20 bucks to have it shipped to you from california. Try that with a cabinet. Plus, i have to really trust someone to buy a used cabinet without hearing it. Go into a used store like daddy's junk music. See how many heads you can find that dont work or have obvious problems. then go around and count the number of cabinets with buzzing speakers, blown speakers, and mystery noises. :rolleyes:

13. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I have a Behringer BX3000T and a Hartke 115XL cabinet that works really well for me. I bought the 115 first under the idea that I will add a 210 later to pull the whole 4ohm load and help with the projection of the highs. The Behringer head and 115 cab have never been above the 10 o'clock position in a rehersal setting (playing with a guitar player with a Mesa 50 watt tube head and a drummer) and that according to the info I have found is only pulling 180 watts. It's plenty loud and sounds good. Behringer and Hartke get a bad rap from alot of people, but I haven't had a lick of trouble with mine.

14. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Just placed an order with Dr. Bass for a 212 cabinet. Now to find the head...

15. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Awesome! You're gonna love it!

16. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    ..... and I've just returned home with the Ashdown MAG300. Cant wait until the Dr Bass cab arrives now! So I spent a little more than what I had planned, but I feel good about the feedback and reviews I've read.

Thanks for your help, I love talkbass, you guys are great.

17. Wow, I can tell you right now, you're going to be majorly pleased with your rig. Nothing but quality with it. Congrats on a smart purchase!

18. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Yeah.. only broke budget by about 100 bucks or so (plus shipping on the cab).. The Ashdown was a few bucks more locally - they gave it to me for $309.. was to be $329 but they asked if I had priced it already and they cut a little deal after I gave them the website prices. I'd rather buy from the little guy than online any day. Now the hard part.... W a i t i n g

19. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Danno, that rig's gonna kick, congrats!

20. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    and the best part is... my wife isn't mad about going over budget!