!!Newbie Alert!! Are Fender Jazz Basses any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gazzabom, May 13, 2001.

1. gazzabom

gazzabom Guest

Apr 9, 2001
    Im a complete newbie when it comes to buying a new bass. I've had the same crappy one for over a year now and I really want a new one. I then came across the Fender Jazz and Ive seen quite a few people talk about it. So could someone tell me straight is it worth buying. And the bass I have now is just anti-slappable. Is it any good for slapping? So could someone give me the lowdown.

Thanks in advance for anything.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I am not sure exactly what series you are talking about (i.e. American Standard, Mexican,etc.) But I have An American Standard J-Bass that is absolutely worth the money. You didn't mention what kind of music you play but the j-bass is better for funk, blues and less hard edged rock. It has a little bit too much growl for hard rock like AC/DC but it is fine for Blues, Punk and everything else. As far as slapping goes, that is pretty much all amp determined. If you have ever heard any primus then you know what i'm talking about. He's running an Ampeg svt-4 pro that has like 1000 watts and you can not only hear but FEEL those slapped notes. But the jazz bass is good to slap and pop on (that is my main style of music) and it sounds great through my SWR Bass 350 amp and Goliath 3 cab.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Primus doesn't use an SVT-4 Pro.

Jazz basses have the 'classic' slap sound, and will sound great, assuming your technique is any good. Its all in the technique, so you may find the Jazz is
    'unslappable' just because you have terrible technique.
  4. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    i've got a standard jazz bass. i use it for everything i play because it's the only bass i own. I play metal, rock, jazz, blues, the works. It works very well in my opinion. and it's good for slap.
  5. If you're looking for versatility, a Jazz is certainly a good choice. But (as I keep repeating over and over again), don't rush into the store and buy one without giving it a thorough test. Quality varies from one to the next.
  6. just ask Marcus if his J bass is any good for slappin
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes, they are any good.
    I don't like "Fender", 'cuz I dislike big, dehumanized companies, but I can't help think the J bass is sort of ---- musical!
    Just make sure the one you get is alright - quality seems to vary, even more than your milage ;)
  8. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Gazzabom -
    Until recently, I tried several J and P basses and never liked them (less than a dozen but ...).
    Last week, I drop by a store, try several basses and amongst them ... a MIM Jazz bass.
    And I loved it.
    And I bought it.
    And it's highly "slapable".
    I don't if I didn't met the right ones before, if they were badly set up or if my tastes in bass have changed/evolved but now I can say "I think Js are good".
    But I believe you've got to choose the right one.
  9. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I am a big fan of the Jazz bass (I have two), and I think it would be a wise buy for you, as long as YOU like the way it sounds and plays. I've played just about every style you can imagine, and while some basses may have a certain characteristic "sound" that lends itself to one style or another, I think the J bass is just a great focused sound that fits just about all styles. Just remember, when shopping for any bass, the one you hear in the store may not be indicative of the actual instrument because:

- setup makes a HUGE difference in your first impression of an instrument. If it isn't setup properly, any bass you play may not feel or sound right, and in a lot of instances, a pro setup will make it a new instrument altogether.

- new quality strings can also make a bass sound like a different animal. If you pull one off the wall at the store, depending on how long it has been hanging there, it could have been played by 2000 other guys before you, the last of which just ate barbecue ribs and had not washed his hands yet!

Good luck with your search!
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'm kinda partial to them. :D
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I seem to like them, great low end and pressence for days. even the cheap ones are pretty decent too imo
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fenders are interesting instruments! Some people love 'em and some people hate 'em. It's ultimately a matter of personal preference. Quality-wise, while Fenders sometimes suffer from inconsistencies from instrument to instrument, you get an instrument that's relatively inexpensive, especially for what you get!

For example, the MIM Jazz Bass is priced VERY reasonably, especially for a new bass. And, you get a fairly decent bass for pretty low cost! There are problems with some of them, but in the end, dollar for dollar, you probably couldn't do much better. The American Series is more consistent (IME), if that's the price range you're considering. There's a difference in tone, for sure!

But, the bottom line is, do you like 'em? If so, you really can't go wrong with a Fender!:D
  13. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    I have a MIM J bass. It is perfect for slap and any other style you desire to play. I picked the best one of 5 they had at the store i went to. If you really want one try out all the ones you can and dont settle for a low quality one just because you want a J bass, and always have a new bass setup properly after you buy it because that will greatly affect the sound. Fender also has an active MIM jazz bass for only a little money more. I loved the ones i have played (none of the active ones i have tried ever had a problem either, odd). Try a few Jazz basses out, I highly doubt you will be dissappointed. It is definitely worth buying.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    whomever said "you can't go wrong with a fender" i wholeheartedly agree with, as long as it's not a squire. for the sound a jazz bass gets, and the playablity, it's the best value on the market (just as long as you're not an active electronics freak like me). even though i have what is normally considered a pretty high end bass, i'm still going to build a jazz bass clone this summer, just cos the sound is so good!

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Take A look @ the 2000 Ampeg catalog...It has a picture of Les Holding up (what appears to be) an Ampeg Svt 4 pro. That might not be what it is and that might not be what he uses, but as far as I could tell, thats what it was. Its an older model that he is holding so I could be wrong, but thats not the point I was trying to make. I was just saying that power has a lot to do with slapping.
    If I made a mistake, then all apoligies. :)

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    OOPS!!!! Upon closer inspection, i realized that Mr. Claypool uses an Ampeg svt-3 pro.
    Sorry oh great one :)
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Going with the Cro-Magnon approach ther Munji?

Yeah, I'm with beetle brow there: Jazz bass gooood!
  19. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Must...buy.........another..............JAZZ BASS!!!
    Everyone should have at least one.