1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Newbie Alert) Got a Markbass setup...is it too much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basschrs, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Hello all. I am new to these parts and have been playing bass for around 10 years. Mostly I have played in small churches or outings that didn't require much amperage from me, so my BA 115 HPT Ampeg combo was just fine. Recently I joined a rock band (2 guitars, 1 drum, and now me) that does some bars and some medium sized gigs, so I figured I needed more juice from my amp, as my amp was at full master vol and almost full gain just for practice with these guys...not a healthy place to be. I went to GC and asked for a bigger setup, but lighter as I didn't like the 86 lbs of my Ampeg. They directed me to a Markbass F1 and the Markbass 151HR cab. The setup blew my head off, so I bought it right then and there. Now I am concerned, as my cab is SO big and bold, that I don't want to kill all other instruments in a bar setting (where most of our shows will probably be for a while). I can't stand being told to turn down my amp :D I tried the 4x10 cab that Markbass has, but with the F1 it didn't have the same shake my eyeballz low end that the 15" had, which is the sound that I really like. So, I need some opinions as to whether I went too big on my rig? And if so, what suggestions do you have for a newbile amp and cab player (this is my 1st head and cab, always had combo before this)

BTW, I play a Schecter Studio 5 string, another reason I went with the 15" is because I want everyone's bones to rattle on the low B :bassist:

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Only 1 drum? That should prevent many volume issues. :)

Don't worry, just turn the volume down if needed. That extra juice is nice, before you know it you might get to use it.

3. Hehe, you know what I meant :cool:. Although...I'd be afraid if I was playing with a single drum...I think my 20W practice amp could kill him.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You can control your volume dynamic, so why worry? If you're feeling like you're too loud, then bring it down. Its always better to have the volume if you need it, but it doesn't mean you have to blast anyone.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No worries, just use the volume knob.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There's a knob on the F1 called "volume." Use it wisely.

Killer setup BTW! The 15 is probably my favorite Markbass cab. Big, deep, but a good strong upper mid and high end if you want it (which I usually don't). I also like the cab in the Berlin a lot but the big 15" is THE cab.

7. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I've always found it helpful when using new gear to have a bass player buddy sit in for a tune at a gig (if that's possible) and listen to the tone of the rig. Recently I bought a whole new rig and after listening to other people play it I understood the projection a lot better. What sounds loud near the drums often doesn't at a table 30 feet away....

8. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Borrow or buy a wireless setup and do the walk around.
    What you will learn in 10 minutes about your playing and how you cut through the band will be invaluable.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Or it sounds smokin' loud 30 ft away in comparison to the other instruments. Having a wireless comes in handy in these situations.

10. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Congrats on a great setup. Hint: volume button

11. Having a bass player friend and wireless setup are awesome suggestions! I actually know a guy who could fill in both roles (he is a bass player that I could mooch some wireless gear off of lol) :smug:

I gotta say that I love the F1 with the 151 - it rocks my world :) I never heard of Markbass before I bought this stuff, but it is amazing quality gear. And with the ability to expand with some 10's should I want them in the future (I'd probably get the pair of 10's as either the traveler or the markbass standard), it should be a great setup for years to come.

And, unfortunately, I know about the volume knob, I have had wayyyy too many people tell me to use it, even with my smaller BA 115 :p

12. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Another suggestion:
    when you have more time ($$$) get a 102p cabinet to go along your 151. Perfect match.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You did very well with that purchase. The F1 is an awesome amp. Congrads.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Can I give you a little advice? This is coming from a guy who hates to be told to turn down, too...just do it and don't say anything. It isn't going to hurt you to have to strain a little bit to hear. All it does is start problems if you argue or pretend to turn down but don't. I actually prefer to hear the sound of my bass mixed in with the band like a song rather than have it blaring. And my turning down has prevented a lot of volume wars. Volume wars are not fun for the crowd.

15. Much as I hate it you are right. Better to mesh with a good sounding mix than to have bass rattling the ears off of the entire front 3 rows. That doesn't mean I have to like it though :D

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention the best part of the purchase. Went during GC's labor day sale, they had some buy any cab and get a head 15% off sale, plus an additional $100 off the head, plus some other sale that I didn't even KNOW about. When all was said and done I got both the F1 and the 151 HR cab both brand spankin new for a total of under $950 bucks. Man was I happy.

16. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    and it helps you listening to the other musicians.

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Most people on TB complain that they don't have enough volume to keep up. (This, by the way, makes me wonder how many of these folks will be deaf in twenty years.) You did well with that rig, and got a great deal to boot. NICE JOB!!!

18. +1, especially if the problem is that the 15 is projecting out below you, in which case, the 102p will act as a monitor too. On tiny stages where you're forced to stand directly in front of the amp, tilt the 102p up a bit too, or put a 6 space rack or something on top of the 15 to raise the 102p. Or simply cut your legs off.

That's a great deal on a great amp, btw.

19. thanks for all the congrats on the rig, it's definitely the best equipment I've ever had! And I +2 the vote for the 102p, just need to find more money........ *contemplates robbing a bank *

Oh, and don, I tried your leg shortening idea, but all I had handy was a pen knife....... Now my girlfriend wants to know where all the nicks in my legs came from?

20. Well, you can tell her that you keep scraping your legs on the 15 because it's so low, and only a 102p on top will cure it. :) Good luck with the amp!