Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frostytoaster2, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Frostytoaster2

Frostytoaster2 Guest

May 24, 2005
    ive read through some stuff on this forum and have gatherd some basic onfo together but i just want to make sure about something
    i have looked around at amps and stuff and come across a peavey firebass 700 and a peavey 4x10, the question is that the firebass is rated at 475watts @ 4 ohms, or 700watts @ 2ohms, and if the cab is rated @ 4ohms than does this mean that it will be ok, and also how hard will it be to damage the speakers if i turn it up too loud?

thanks

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    First off, its just fine to run the cab. You will get 475 watts. You can run the speaker as loud as you want as long as you don't hear distortion or a limiter light isn't always on.

3. Your speaker cab should be able to handle the head just fine. Since it's 475w @ 4 ohms, the cab would get around 475w. I'm not sure how hard it would be to damage the speakers, though. Just make sure you don't send the amp into clipping (turning the amp all the way up (gain/master volume)), which is a really easy way to damage speakers.

4. Frostytoaster2

Frostytoaster2 Guest

May 24, 2005
    ok, thanks thats really helpfull, also dunno if you can hekp me with this but i dont earn much money and at the moment i have a stagg 80watt amp, on the back it has an external speaker jack, if i was to buy the cab first would i be able to plug it straight into the external speaker jack?
    the jack says summink like 4ohms output, but will have to check that 1 as i dont have the amp at the moment.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If it says it can handle 4, then the cab is ok.

6. Frostytoaster2

Frostytoaster2 Guest

May 24, 2005
    cool, thanks for your help :D