1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElectraPhoenix, Apr 12, 2010.

1. So, I found a used Behringer guitar cab, 4x12 i think, $99. At GC. I REALLY need to upgrade my rig, and I want to get it before it goes, so here's my question: can I run a bass head through this guitar speaker cab and will it work alright? I guess the best thing would be to try it, but I don't have a head yet but this cab is a steal and I'd like to get it before it's gone. I was looking at maybe the Line 6 400W head, but I'm not sold on any head yet. Help would be appreciated.

-Adam :bassist:

2. EDIT: after some research, it's not looking like it will work, but help from anyone who actually knows what they're talking about (or has tried this) is very appreciated. If anything, I can get one of my bandmates who needs a bigger amp to pick up the cab instead. But I'd really like to know it it will work. One person said "if you play a bass head through a guitar cab, you'll blow 7 shades of poopiee through your speaker."

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    1) Bass guitar into guitar speakers is generally a recipe for disaster unless you are playing at bedroom levels (and even then you may have problems). 2) at the risk of being "moderated" think very carefully before you buy Behringer speakers.
    Bottom line = get a proper bass speaker cab from a respected speaker manufacturer.

4. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    look at real bass equipment, not guitar stuff. Beringer is entry level, not gonna sound good

5. so i'm gettin' the vibe that there's a reason this cab is so cheaply priced? gotcha. thanks for your help.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Look for used cabs on Craigslist. There must be tons of nice gear for sale this time of year in Madison and Milwaukee.

7. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Go online and Google "buying your second amp"; there's an excellent article on how bass cabs function and why they're different from guitar cabs. They're so completely different, that even during he 2-5 minutes before you destroy the guitar speakers, the sound will be awful. You gotta have air movement - that's why bass speakers THUMP. Guitar speakers work in a completely different manner.
    Lots of great used bass cabs online, here and elsewhere. I saw 4-5 different Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000 and 1200 cabs in California alone!

8. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yeah, guitar speakers are voiced very differently. If anything, PA speakers would be moderately suitable with proper EQ-ing and cross over. But the best way to go would still be proper bass cabs. GK has some budget stuff.

Behringer gets talked down a lot. They make decent affordable stuff, reasonable for practicing and for people just starting out. But I've heard some horror stories about their reliabilty, though I have been fine. Still, quality's not their strong suit.

9. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    You should have a look at the OHMs/Impedance guide that is stickied at the top of this thread. It will let you know about how speakers and cabs work together.