Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie amp/wattage question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Nimrod, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Mr.Nimrod

Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    hey guys-

i'm trying to read up and learn all I can about this stuff....but in the mean time, i'd appreciate some help on something.

my new SVT-3 pro is rated at 450 watts at 4ohms. my goliath jr. III (4ohms) cab handles 350 watts.

Since I don't know what 350 watts should sound like (my last amp was overrated at 100), I am being very timid with the volume, for fear of blowing the speaker cab. how high do you guys think i can crank it without putting the cab at risk?? is it really dangerous to have an amp with 100 watts more power than the cab is programmed to handle?

eventually, when I get more $$$, i'll prolly end up getting two 8ohm cabs instead, but in the meantime this setup should work fine.

thanks a lot!
    -dan

ps.....a very silly question, but how much speaker movement is normal for a 210? i mean like when the bass is high and the speakers push forward a lot. i'd just rather be safe than sorry!

2. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    >>>"is it really dangerous to have an amp with 100 watts more power than the cab is programmed to handle? "<<<

No...not dangerous.

The Goliath jr. is a pro cab, intended for high output. Just don't pump too much bass into them, keep the bass control at moderate levels....and you should be able to get pretty decent volume out of this setup. You won't get gut wrenching, bowel moving lows....but should get nice , tight bass.

>>>> but how much speaker movement is normal for a 210? "<<<<

Normal .......up to a 1/2 inch in travel...give or take a bit.......

PJR

3. I shouldn't worry too much about how loud you crank it as much as your EQ settings. Where 2x10 cabs get into trouble quick is when you try to force too much deep bass out of them. They can do it, but not very loudly. If you notice any distortion or "farting" noises coming from the cab, back off on the bass control knob or lower your volume. Avoid using a "smiley face" EQ setting because that sort of thing is asking a lot from a single 2x10 cab.

With a 450 watt head, having too much power for the cab shouldn't be a problem. What causes the most speakers to fail is having too little power and cranking the amp until it clips. This is why it's a good idea to have an amp rated at 2x the rating of the cab.