Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squeennyzim, Feb 3, 2003.

1. squeennyzim

squeennyzim

Feb 3, 2003
    as a 17 year old bass player, i've been finding that i've been enjoying playing a lot lately and the 10 watt bass amp i've been using just isn't cutting it anymore. i play in a punk and ska band, but my playing tends to be fairly quiet (i need to work on playing the strings harder, but that's a different story). i've been saving up and looking at some different amps and i was wondering if any of you had any advice on what to get. because i have to lug it back and forth to a friends' house, i really would prefer to get a good solid combo amp. the three recommendations i've gotten thus far are:

swr LA series 15 inch 100w
    behringer bx1200 ultrabass 120w
    crate bx100 100w 15 inch

right now i'm leaning towards the SWR. i'm trying to keep it below $350. any advice please

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you can get it for under $350, the SWR would be my pick of that bunch.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The Peavey Basic 112 is also a good amp for the cash and in your price range. It ahs a lot of kick and good sound IMO. Peavey make solid gear too..USA made!

4. squeennyzim

squeennyzim

Feb 3, 2003
    what about a carvin? there are a few on ebay (any cautions against ebay) that are going for around 300 with shipping