Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Bass(es)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by des2125, Jan 18, 2006.

1. des2125

des2125

Jan 18, 2006
    Hello all...

My wife and I made a new years resolution.... we would both learn how to play the bass guitar. Why bass and not a regular 6 string? Who knows, we are both a little odd.

I assume everyone here was a newb at some point, so whats a good cheap bass we can get two of to go take lessons with?

A quick google got me to this forum, and after reading a few articles I can tell it will be entirely useful.

D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    www.rondomusic.net

Most of their fender lookalikes would suit your purposes wonderfully.

3. des2125

des2125

Jan 18, 2006
    They range from $100 to $350 (making for quite a range)... pretend I don't know how to tell which are the fender lookalikes and convince me the $100 are worth it :D

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good suggestion. Also, get a J and a P since you have to buy two. Different feel and sound.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The first page of basses are two styles, the P and J basses. The P basses are the first listed....and everything on that page will work for you.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Those prices are really good for the quality of instrument that you're getting. Some people on here say that the quality rivals some of the Made in Mexico Fenders that would normally run around the $500 mark.

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    peavey foundations are good beginner basses

8. des2125

des2125

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks for the info.... btw, anyone know what movie Trev's signature is from? Its so damn familiar....

9. des2125

des2125

Jan 18, 2006
    The quote is from a Simpsons episode...now I remember...

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Since you are extremely new to bass, you should know that electric bass guitar prices probably average in the $500 +/- category, with many costing well above $1K (some into the several thousand dollar level). In that light, a $100-$150 purchase would be considered quite low end and definitely a "beginner bass" . The link provided to Rondo Music, the SX distributor, actually directs you to the lowest end of the price scale, yet generally results in an acceptable bass that would seem to be of higher quality than the pricing indicates.

Welcome to the world of bass, it's a great place to be. And this site, TalkBass, is the largest on-line bass community with well over 46,000 members worldwide ... :cool:

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    And you're defining average how?
    There's a LOT more <$300 basses sold every year than $500+, and I've seen lots of "pros" playing on sub-$500 basses.

Newbies, ignore this philistine. Sure someday you'll probably be lusting over Roscoes, Foderas, etc. with the rest of us, but inexpensive basses can be as good as the person playing them. Get an SX or something similar, practice long and hard, and then make your own decision as to what bass you want to step up to, or even keep that one.