Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brand, Jun 1, 2005.

1. brand

brand Guest

Jun 1, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I'm a complete newbie to all forms of music and have decided that I would like to take up bass guitar since I was asked to join a rock/punk band. Since then I have been looking at a wide range of basses and am finding all the technical language very daunting.

I must admit that I was quite surprised at the prices that basses are sold for and only have around £250 - £300 to spend on an amp, bass and cable. So I decided to ask some people with more experience on what bass I should get. I have seen a Cort Action Bass and a Tanglewood Rebel Bass for around £200 with a 30w amp and a cable and have seen mixed reviews on these basses; some saying that the Cort is a good guitar and others saying its "rubbish".

Could you give me some advice on which guitar I should get? Or any other guitars that would be a better choice for around that price range (£250 - £300)?

Thanks Guys.

2. I started out with a Westfield P-Bass Clone and a Stagg 20W combo. I haggled that, a cable, a tuner and a gig bag down to under £200. Haggling is the way man.

The amp won't handle a band situation though (I tried). I use my 80W Peavey for band practise, which handles the sound levels fine (we don't play stupidly loud, as quiet as the drummer can do, which isn't really that quiet. My guitarists have a Marshall 80W Valvestate and a Laney 65W Tubefusion). In fact, it's our PA for the singer that is struggling (110W apparently).

I would advise against splashing out on anything too expensive at the moment. You never know, you may find that bass isn't for you. I also found that having a bass which didn't work so well made me concentrate on my technique more when starting out to make it sound better that way. In fact, by far the best bassist we have at school still hasn't upgraded from his Tanglewood (a good bass for the money, mind you). The priciest I'd go in your position is an Ibanez GSR200. That should last you a while, unless GAS really takes over :p

The Cort is good for that kind of level too. As I touched upon earlier, it's not about the gear you have, especially to start with, it's all about what you do with what you have available to you though.

Hope it goes well for you,
    Marty

3. brand

brand Guest

Jun 1, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Marty; I was just thinking would the Ibanez GSR 200 be suitable for gigging with? Or would I need to break the bank again later?

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I was going to recommend the soundgear series. They're good basses to learn on. They're lightweight, easy to play, and affordable. I think that would be a fine choice. You can gig with one too. I had a 400 that i picked up for around $300 us dollars.

The amp could be a little tricky to get something loud enough that fits in your price range. I'm assuming you guys are pretty loud. How many guitarists are in your band? I would look for better quality used setup, than a cheaper new one. If you want new, check out the Ashdown or Hartke heads. They both get decent reviews & are pretty affordable. 1 decent cab should be sufficient, maybe a 2x12, or a 4x10...depends on what your after. The 12's will guive you more low-end thump. The 10's have a more mid-range punch. People speak highly of Avatar cabs around here...check them out. Again I've never used them, but theres lots of info about them on here. I think they're not to expensive either. Good luck...welcome aboard. :bassist:

5. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    i started out on a tanglewood rebel 4 and a ashdown five fifthteen. both of these were £150 make a grand total of £300. i can not stress how good this combo has worked out for me. check out academy of sound or sound control for good prices on this kit. :)

6. brand

brand Guest

Jun 1, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Thanks I plan to hang around. There are two guitarists in the band. I hate to show my ignorance of bass guitars, but what is a cab?

Do you know any places where second hand basses can be bought? What are the basses on e-bay normally like? I'm a bit worried about spending £300 on e-bay 'cos I never trusted that place.

7. A cab is a speaker cabinet. It only has speakers, and you plug in an amp (A seperate unit in that case)

You would be much better suited to a combo amp, which has both on in one happy box.