Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie bass player- Acoustic bass?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wintersleep, Mar 29, 2005.

1. wintersleep

wintersleep

Mar 29, 2005
    Hey guys.

I'm thinking of taking up acoustic bass- i have some experience with an acoustic guitar.

My question is: will finding tabs be hard? will i be able to play electric bass tabs and have them sound right?

Also: if i were to buy an electric bass (cheap, most likely a low end ibanez), would it be stupid to put it into my small washburn 8 watt amp? Ive gotten conflicting answers on this one.

2. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    first off, tabs are tabs, and it all depends on the sound of the bassist. if the guy uses effects or not. and my first bass was a cheap ibanez, which i converted to lefty, and its still fun to play. as far as the amp goes. it depends on what you want to get out of it. acustic would probably more expensive though, try and get a good size amp, maybe a 15 watter. so do what you gotta do, but remember this.

3. wintersleep

wintersleep

Mar 29, 2005
    thanks for the advice. ive actually decided on a cheaper yamaha bass.. the RBX70.. the problem is money. Not much cash right now as a student, so I won't be able to afford a new amp. (getting the cash from a trade in on my washburn flying v electric.)

a friend told me an 8 watt amp would sound really crappy and may blow with a bass- is this true?

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    15 Wats is a Good size amp?? :confused: I dont think so

5. wintersleep

wintersleep

Mar 29, 2005
    yeah i really dont wanna mess up this amp here, it's all i have :eyebrow:

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Is it a guitar amp? If yes, don't even try it.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Need a good bass, on the cheap? I suggest that you check out http://www.rondomusic.net/ .

They have good quality bass guitars starting at $109 + shipping.

I would also not recommend you playing a bass through your guitar amp. It will destroy the speaker.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Never mix guitar amp combos with basses, the speakers cannot handle it, and they will blow.

9. wintersleep

wintersleep

Mar 29, 2005
    ok thanks for the heads up.. well thats an interesting situation to be stuck in then.. guess i could always buy the bass and practice on it without an amp til' the cash surfaces.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I second the Rondo suggestion. They have Agile acoustics and SX and Brice electrics. People seem to like the SX's a lot and love the Brices. Never heard much about the Agiles though.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Interesting note -- a bass cab with a guitar head (playing guitar) can yield a GREAT tone if you match it up properly. A friend of mine used an Epi SG (PRS pickups) through a MusicMan guitar head and into an Ampeg bass cab. Fantastic tone.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yep, definately lay off teh amp. And if you want a practice amp that can be played with a drummer and guitarist you are going to need at least 30 watts. 15 probably won't cut it. There are a whole pile fo good practice amps under $300 to shoose from- Ibanez, Peavey, and Behringer makes some good 35-50 watt practice amps around the $200 area.

As far as basses Either go SX/Brice (rondo), Ibanez, or Yamaha for the under $300 range. I've played a good sampling of all these and tend to think the Yamaha and Ibanez are little higher quality with better fit and finish, and better action, but the SX is still a good deal, and if you want the classic J or P styling it is there. I'd definately recommend them over most MIM Fenders.