newbie bass player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Mar 7, 2006.

1. im a newbie
    i just got a washburn ab 10 with a natural finish
    what do you guys think of it as a bass and does any body have any tips for a starting player such as myself
  2. Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    well im self tought so heres the advice i can give you: i learned by playing songs i liked. however, dont try and get good on songs like punk songs where you only play the roots of the chords. instead try and learn some complex stuff that will have you all over the fret board. Ska and regge is usually good for that kinda thing. and contemporary stuff like vic wooten. my personal favorite genre is acoustic-surf-chill kinda stuff like jack johnson, matt costa, DMB, guster, that kinda thing. they have some pretty nice basslines too that arent too repetative. but like i said, be sure to play what you like. you can only stay interested if you playing things you enjoy
  3. I'd think about getting some lessons to get you started. Can't hurt. Learning to play by ear is a good thing too.
  4. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    +1 On the above posts. Don't forget to try and just make something up. Use your imagination.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1 on getting lessons. Starting out with good technique, though difficult, absolutely pays off in the long run. I hate fixing some of the mistakes I made when I started playing... like sweeping downwards when playing consecutive strings :scowl: .
    My first bass was a Washburn. It had the best tone of all the basses I played, but was a little more pricey.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your new rig.
  6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm sorry, we bassists aren't accepting any new members right now. Please sell your bass and learn to play drums or some crap like that.

7. Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Welcome to the world of bass! I'm sure you'll like it! Washburns are nice basses. Everyone's said some good things here. My advice is to get busy learning your favorite songs, find a radio station you like and play along to develop your ear, and practice 'till your fingers bleed!
  8. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Get this:

And this:

This is, of course, based on my personal taste in music. You can find some other great bands to start with but you get the idea. And is a great site.

My other advise is my typical one; find someone to play with (Even your buddy whose never played the bongos) and start jamming. Your playing will advance in ways that no ammount of "wood shedding" can provide. Making music with others is an experience that is beyond description.

Rock on!

Edit: +1 on the importance of good technique. Start off on the right foot. Books helped me alot there as well.
  9. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Welcome to the world of bass!!!

I like the post about the lessons. Though lessons may be expensive, it will definitely pay off in the long run. I've personally never had a lesson in my life, though I would always want to have one.

The best thing to do is that there are so many bass players out here that can teach you right on the spot (no visuals :(), its a great alternative if you don't have the money to spend on lessons at the moment.

Though this may be an investment, Todd Johnson (SHAMELESS PLUG)'s Techniques DVD is a great starter. Todd Johnson is a great bass player and he teaches you everything just like you're taking a lesson from a professional teacher. He will teach you everything from how to use your right/left hands, strap height, exercises and so forth! It's a great DVD To start off with! I haven't been playing that long myself, but I've purchased it and I've learned a ton of new things from it! Definitely a great dvd!

As far as learning songs, definitely do that! has some good scale lessons that you can practice for endurance on your left hand and left hand/right hand coordination.

And just be humble on Talkbass and you'll learn many things on this site as well. Though it may be addiciting :O. Everyone will be nice to help you out!

Feel free to msg me as well!! ROCK ON!!

D :D
  10. Torch7

May 7, 2005
    Austin, Texas
  11. OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    Hi, and welcome to TB and to the world off bass alltogether.

I haven't ever played an AB10, but most of the reviews I read range from pretty good to very good. So I guess it'll do just nicely to get you started.

I'm expecting my AB45 to come in any day now :p

Have fun around these boards!
  12. Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
  13. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Congrats and welcome.
    If I remember there was a great slap book called "Slap It",
    but I can't remember who wrote it.
    Some suggestions:
    1. Listen to everything- even if you don't like it, there is something to be learned from everything you listen to.
    2. Get a teacher- doesn't have to be a bass teacher, just someone who will teach you music. You wouldn't try to be a novelist if you couldn't read, right?
    3. Enjoy yourself- this is supposed to be fun
    4. Play with others before you are ready. Music, like sex, is best in groups of two or more.
    5. Be yourself. You'll never groove on the previous 4 things if your always worrying that you don't sound like "so and so" or can't play as fast as "whoozitz"
    Playing music is the pure expression of your soul's actual intent-revel in the bliss that it brings.
  14. ive got 6 years of playing trombone already :bassist:
  15. heres a good tip on starting out try learning some iron maiden when i started out playing like two years the first song i learned was number of the beast and damn it was hard as hell but after i played it damn i was just able to so much more it was just like something just ticked of in my head
    so try and tell me what u think
  16. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Awesome! Then you probably can already read bass clef and are used to playing in a group. You're starting out with an incredible advantage.
    Me, I switched from tuba to bass after 6 years. Never really liked the instrument, but loved it's role in the band. Also never got used to that ring around my lips after three hours
    of practice.;)