Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie bass player!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ApocBizkit2, Nov 26, 2000.

1. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    Hello! Ive come because i want to get better at bass! I would like to be come an all around bass player. So far the only way i learned how to play was with using a pick, and i hate it. I feel that I am limited. Ive tried useing my fingers and slapping but it just seems way to hard and i dont get as good as a sound out of it as i do using a pick. I would like to know if there are any good ways of practicing uses fingers.

-And thanks for reading my thread!

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Get a teacher. If that's not possible get some books, check the link.

http://www.bassbooks.com/

And, practice, practice, practice.

I only play with my fingers, simply because I don't like how I sound with a pick. :D

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    To get comfortable with finger-style playing, you need to build some strength in your right hand's fingers (or left if you're left-handed), and get used to the feel of plucking the strings with them. Simply play the songs you play with a pick, but play them with your fingers over and over again, until you feel comfortable with it. It could take some time, though.

Getting a good sound out of finger-style is just a matter of practice. When you're used to finger-style, your tone will improve.

And, BTW, you're not limited by playing with a pick, e.g. Chris Squire has always used a pick, and he's a legend!

4. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    kewl, so i can use a pick! Because i am pretty good with a pick rather than bare fingers... I play very easy songs such as Blink182... i feel that if i get used to playing fast songs that change pace, i would help me along the way...

- thanks alot guys

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    In addition to the above advice listen to a lot a different music types, borrow swap whatever. Many great musicians got their influences from different genres. Some bands work because of divergent influences eg Chilli Peppers. Listen to Dub/Reggae music then Public Image who were a punk band.

Learn all the major 'styles' and make a blend of all that into your own.

Just my two pence/cents/centimes

6. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    thanks alot guys

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Your thinking right to be a great bass player. It seems like most people quit bass because of exactly what your confronting. Using the finger-style is harder to learn than a pick but it opens up whole new dimensions in playing.

Get a finger-style teacher, practic constantly, and get ready to deal with the pain and the blisters. It will be well worth it.

8. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, a friend of mine was just over showing me some finger movements, and it does seem like it needs alot of practice and im up to that... I just hope it pays off!! because i really am alot better with the pick... but i hate the fact of using a pick, it seems "bad" to play with a pick. Im trying im trying!! i got a book on it, but the lessons i dunno yet. About how much do these lessons cost. I live in New York New York in Manhattan, so i know theres gotta be a place somewhere!! talk to u guys later

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I use fingerstyle because i prefer the "warmer" sound I can get this way and the feel of control on the strings.However,maybe pick is your style;but I recommend you to learn fingerstyle too and then decide for yourself.You will most probably be using either pick or fingerstyle,dependending on the sound you want on a song.And let's not forget Manowar's Joey DeMaio,who uses a pick and plays so fast that you just can't play like this with fingers.

10. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    let me just tell you guys! im a really quick learner... and im gonna play with pick from now on, because i am really good at it. I play like the friggin wind, i play so fast with the pick (and it sounds good) that my friend whos been playing for 4years said that "wow". Does anyone have any tips how how to move my hand from a low note to a high note really quick and get it in target (sorry i lack the lingo!! ) like this:

g-------------------
    d----------14--14---
    a-2-2---------------
    e-------------------

Are there any good tricks that i can learn to get accuracy besides practice (which i do alot, about 6 hours a day... i think thats alot)

Ok how to hear from you guys.... sorry if my lingo is kinda juvenile, im 16.... aight laterz

11. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    you've got to ask yourself "would i rather pick my nose with my finger, or with a triangular piece of plastic?":D

and your daily practice time should be equal to 1/2 hour for every year of age you are.

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Uh, wouldn't it be easier to play it:

g----------9--9-----
    d-------------------
    a-------------------
    e-7-7---------------

??

And whatever you do, DON'T PRACTICE STUFF YOU'RE NOT ALREADY GOOD AT! Otherwise, you'll become good at everything, and God knows we don't want that. :rolleyes:

Please, if you're really serious about learning the bass, do what brewer9 said and take some lessons. All you're doing now is reinforcing bad habits; it looks like you're just guessing at where the notes are on fingerboard (do you even know what those two notes are? or the interval?). I know others will say, "Hey, leave him alone, he's having fun," and I'm sure you are. And I'm not trying to criticize you, honest. But anyone who tells you to "just play how you feel, man" is blowing smoke up your @$$. If you really, REALLY want to learn how to play, you're gonna have do the hard work too. You'll be glad you did later on, trust me.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    lump! What's up?!
    I agree with ya on the "practice what you don't know" ideal.
    ...BTW, there is a "difference" between an "E" @the 7th fret/"G" string and the "E" @the 14th fret/"D" string...right or wrong? ;)

Apocdude-
    In your initial post, you mentioned a desire to become "an all-around player". Chris had some good words about expanding your horizons...borrow/listen to ALL sorts of music. Lump(& others)touched on what all the *greats*(IMO)did...they constantly re-invented themselves.
    No tricks, either...it's about QUALITY practice, not QUANTITY of practice.

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Jim,

You betcha! One is "gank" and the other is "boomp," but I'm guessing that if it's played with a pick "like the friggin' wind," the difference in tone may be moot...;)

Again, Apoc, no one's trying to criticize. But the world has enough crappy bass players (with much effort, I've managed to rise to the level of "crummy"). Choose to be GOOD and put in the effort NOW. Time's a wastin'.