Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Bass Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjkantor, Jun 20, 2001.

1. rjkantor

rjkantor

Jun 20, 2001
    I am interested in purchasing a bass guitar, but am new to playing. I was looking at the multitude of guitars for sale and there are a lot. I was leaning towards the Carlo Robelli USB490 4-String Bass or the Squier® by Fender® Standard P-Bass® Special or anything else that someone can recommend to me?

Thanks in advance.

2. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey man, my first bass was a Carlo Robelli USB490... it was a great beginner bass, I never really played the Squier basses before but i don't like their guitars at all! I suggest going to the shop and playing them both, the Carlo looks cooler I think but the body is really small, but other than that I enjoyed it.
    take your time with it too, dont buy one without playing it first! and dont be pressured by the salesmen...

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome, rjkantor!

What's your budget for bass, amp and all accessories? Are you planning on buying a practice amp now, or will you rely on a headphone amp for a little while? What kind of music do you see yourself playing?

This will give us a better idea of your needs.

4. Waffleman

Waffleman

Jun 15, 2001
    McCook NE
    If you're looking for a kinda cheap bass to start on, then I've heard Ibanez basses are good... I haven't shopped around too much, but I have an Ibanez GSR200, and it's pretty nice, except it's got a kinda short neck.

5. rjkantor

rjkantor

Jun 20, 2001
    I was looking to stay under $500 for bass, amp and accessories at this time. I see playing modern rock and classic rock more so than jazz.

Rob

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would go with a MIM Fender. It can be easily upgraded when you have more money, although many seem to like them just as they are.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I concur, although you owe it to yourself to try as many different basses in your price range as possible.

Personally, I would avoid the Carlo Robelli (which is Sam Ash's house brand, built by Samick, I think) - I've heard the occasional horror story about their long-term neck stability.

Some of the Dean Edge basses are in your price range ($325-$350), and seem to be a good value.

A Squier would be a decent bottom-dollar choice, but a MIM Fender (Made in Mexico) Jazz or Precision would be just a little more expensive (around $300-$325 versus $225-$250 for the Squier), and would have better construction and electronics from what I've seen. (Don't be put off by the name "Jazz" - it's suitable for all styles, and you may find you like the contours and balance better than on the Precision.)

If it were me, I'd go look at a Mexican Precision and Jazz, and a Dean Edge. See which one feels better to you, and go from there. I think you can get a fine starter bass outfit in your price range!

(I may not play very well, but I sure like shopping for the hardware!)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd recommend Yamaha BBN4, it's very much bass for the money.

9. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tobias basses are pretty decent for the money. Also check out like ESP's. I have never tried a washburn bass before. They look like they might be alright for a beginner. They aren't that expensive and the only problem that I see is that they only have 20 frets. But that might not be a problem to most people.

10. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    It is normal 34" scale. The neck is really thin though. The neck sinks into the body more than other basses. That might give the inpression the neck is short, but i don't see how. The overall lenth of the bass is the same as any other.

11. A good way to get a decent setup for under $500 is to go used.

Quick scan of ebay pulled up a Fender Squire P Bass for $175 and an Amped BA-112 amp (60W 12" woofer) for under $200. That leaves plenty of money left for a gig bag, cables, tuner, etc.

12. If your looking for a bass that'd be around 300 to fit in your price range check out the performance series spectors, they sell for around 300 and are nice for the money. You get EMG pick ups(granted not the best series but still) and its a pretty easy to play bass. I wish mine would have been one, I regret it now(i might not feel the need to be getting a new bass so soon) and the name Spector is always a plus. and a good practice amp i'd have to say is the peavey minx 110, good punch and features compact and a nice little beginner setup. thats just my 2 cents, hope it helps

13. You should set a limit on how much you want to spend. I would recomend now spending over $300 for a bass and nothing over $200 for an amp

14. Solstice

Solstice

Jun 21, 2001
    Eastern Ne. USA
    New to playing myself, but we own a Fender Squier P-Bass, and to be honest, after just a few months, I've outgrown it. It's good for a kid who may or may not decide to play for any length of time, but not if you're serious.
    Definately go to the music shop, try out as many basses as you can then make your selection. I'm trying to make my decision as to instrument myself, and am leaning towards the MIM Fender Jazz, good feel, not too heavy, easy to play neck. The only better that I've tried out is a 5 string Ibanez Sr series. Nearly plays itself, and I love that low B, wow what a feeling...just a ways out of my budget at $700 new...sigh.

15. definantly go either used or try and get a good deal on the bass and amp,

acessories arn't all that exspensive, if you play it right, and most places will do this, you can negotiate a few free bits, perhaps a tuner and strap , most will throw in a lead as standard

if your serious about bass then start as you mean to go on, don't buy a very cheap bass and a cheap amp because it fits into your budget, look at used items,

refurbished amps are a good way to go, look at you local music store, tell the guy there what you want, tell him your situation and that you want to get all the things you'll need to start playing, they'll usually go out of their way to get'you' the best deal

i would reccomend looking at the MIM j's and p's, there well made and and instrument that will grow with you as you progress, squires are ok, but after a few months you'll get GAS and you'll end up selling it for nothing or putting it in the cupboard

lastley don't be persuaded to go for something you don't want or need, go in a few days or weeks before play a load of basses and have fun, they'll get to know your face, talk to them, take someone with you when you go, to either the store or someones house if your buying secondhand

and consult the TB family if you not sure

oh yeah, don't write messages when you've just come back from work at 11pm , i'm so tired, sorry about the spelling mistakes, you wouldn't believe i'm at uni :)